1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OBP-3 Treble issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by incognito_xxx, Oct 15, 2013.

1. incognito_xxx

incognito_xxx

Oct 15, 2013
    Hi cats,

I have installed the new super singles from Aguilar and their OBP-3 preamp on my bass.

Now, I am experiencing a problem with treble. If I control bass or middle the changes are very sensitive, tone is changing as it shall, but not the same with treble.

If I roll the treble pot from 0 to + or to -, there is very small difference in tone, almost none.

I tried to put all on flat, also the blend of pickups, I fell that the treble is low. Also, when turning it from 0 to + direction, some hum appears, like the sound of the fan when the laptop heats up.

Wiring is ok, have checked it few times. I have tried with 9V and 18V power, no change. I haven't installed any capacitors or resistors.

Anybody has some experience with similar issues?

Thanks,

Harsen

2. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    What setup are you using? Bass Mid Treble?
    Sound like a bad pot or wrong pot.

3. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I had weird problems with my OBP-3 right after installing Nordy Big Singles. It had nothing to do with the pickups--there was a wire that had barely gotten knocked off of the bass tone control, which effectively made it turn the bass all the way up as far as it could go. Conceivably if the right wire is loose on the treble pot, it would make it sound like the treble is turned down as low as it can go.

I'd double-check (again) to make sure you don't have any wires knocked off or shorts in the soldering somewhere--that would definitely cause some weird stuff like you're seeing.

Tom

4. incognito_xxx

incognito_xxx

Oct 15, 2013
    Hi RadioBob,

I am using Bass, Mid with 400/800 Hz switch and treble. Pots came together with aguilar preamp, and they are very good quality. I have only done the wiring by myself.

5. incognito_xxx

incognito_xxx

Oct 15, 2013
    Hi Tom,

I have done soldering again and also some other wiring that Aguilar sent me to do, but same thing happens.

Even bought a new pot and same same same...

I am in contact with Aguilar support so I'll see if there is something new, and will reply here.

Harsen

6. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

sounds like a bad pot brushes could be toasted if heated up too much with soldering gun...maybe

7. The treble control is at 6.5KHz. Do you have a horn or a tweeter in your cab?

8. incognito_xxx

incognito_xxx

Oct 15, 2013

Yes, but tried different setups, no change.

9. Bassdog32

Bassdog32

Aug 8, 2008
    One thing to check is the possibility of the potentiometer getting shorted against the shielding of the bass control cavity. Some pots sit deeper into the mounting hole and end up shorted.