1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ocean Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcury, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Any one have any real world experience with these recording or gigging? I tried one at GC the other day and was knocked out. Realy fun to play, fast neck, light body, great action. It had tins of usable tones including credible P and Jazz tones and the kicker is that it is slappable. I belive in a blindfold test that no one would know it was a fretless being slapped.

So anyone who can tell me how one holds up and works outside of the bassroom?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think we probably would know that it was a fretless that was being slapped...

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Well if I buy the bass we'll see. In the meantime anyone have any experience with these?

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Nobody has any information or experience to share?

5. russianspy

russianspy

Oct 20, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    I've played it a few times in the Nashville GC and really loved it. There's really not much info out there about it, though. I say go for it. If I needed a fretless I would.

6. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks! I don't really need another fretless, but the slap tone was so amazing on this thing that I could give up frets forever.

I was hoping to find someone who'd actually played one outside of GC though. can't quite believe no one on this board has.

7. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I've only played one at GC myself and while it was nice I didn't want to buy it.

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Yeah I just got back from GC. Played it again.it's a riot, but something about it feels dinky. I' afraid it won't stand up to real world use and even with the Pres day discount it was more than I wanted to pay for it and could find anyone who'd bring it down dfrom teh $679 they wanted today.

9. That's because it's the new Guitar Center "brand" based very closely off a Cort line IIRC - you can't find one outside of GC unless it's used.

I walked away with the same impression in general. It's not as if it was a clunker, but that it felt "fragile" in both woods used, construction, hardware, finish... it felt as it it was made of Balsa, if that makes any sense. Plus, I'd have serious problems buying a Guitar Center brand - they already have enough market share just in sales, I don't particularly feel like them making even more profit on the sale by it being their brand as well. :scowl:

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    By outside of GC I meant on a gig or recording session, not another store

Balsa wood nails it pretty well. It plays great has a lot of tonal possibilities, but felt like it might fall apart if used hard. It's a shame, though I also know what you mean about the GC brand and their market share, I try not to spend my money there in general.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I know what bass youre talking about. Ive been thinking of buying it for ages but something always holds me back.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Has anyone got a picture of one of these basses?

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    google...?

14. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Why is that? I feel the same way.

Here's the fretted, interestingly enough the fretless seems to no longer be on the GC site.

[​IMG]