Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octatonic scale application

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Red Wonder, Feb 17, 2005.

1. This is a very intriguing looking scale...

c c# d# e f# g a a# c'

It alternates semitones and tones...

Have any of you applied this scale before. It certainly has an enigmatic quality to it.

Is it primarily for augmented chords?

:help:

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Diminished. I first saw it in David Baker's Patterns for Jazz, but it also appears in The Lydian Chromatic Concept. (The common scale for augmented chords is all whole tones.) On a dom seventh chord, you can start it with a half step for an unusual bluesy sound:

C7
    C Db D# E F# G A Bb C

For diminished chords, you can start from either the half step or the whole step. I was told once that you can decide which one to use based on the key of the progression that the diminished chord appears in, but I didn't understand what the guy meant by that.

So, C dim could be either
    C Db D# E F# G A Bb C
    or
    C D Eb F Gb Ab A B.

3. This scale is flat-out awesome! Especially when you utilize one string. Is it safe to say its a chromatic sounding 8 tone scale? It seems that this scale would fit just about anywhere (in a blues context perhaps.) Diminished, augmented, major, or minor.

Then ahain I just discovered it so what do I know? I do know that it sounds appealing. Especially with the tritone thrown in for good measure.

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    What exactly is the name of this scale? I know when I learned it my teacher just called it the half-whole scale just because of the alternating intervals, but does this scale have a more formal name? I also learned the whole-half scale as my teacher so cleverly called it.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Diminished. Really.