Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OD Decision

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by full_bleed, Sep 4, 2005.

Which one?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2005.
  1. Sansamp RBI pre amp

20.9%
  2. Nobels ODR-B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fulltone Bassdrive

34.9%
  4. Boss ODB-3

16.3%
  5. Other

27.9%
  1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    What do you guys think I should go for. I mainly only need a very mild distortion, a smooth distortion, and a crunchy distortion. I don't need anything that would rival a guitarists Mesa Boogie or Marshall full lead stack. The reason I put up the RBI instead of the BDDI is because if I'm going to go the tech 21 route I'm going to just go far a pre/power setup. I'm not currently using any other effects although a chorus will most likely be in the near future and an octave or synth pedal may be acquired but not anytime within the year. If you choose other and have any clips post them up for me please.

2. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    :help: almost 50 views now and still no poll results. Don't worry this is not a test. There is no way to flunk so let's see some results y'all. Remember now there are no wrong answers. This is based purely on your opinion.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd suggest checking out one of two things:

1) Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

or

2) Ibanez Tubescreamer along with a blend pedal of some sort.

With the different types of distortion you're looking for, I think a blend option would work the best. That way you can control how much distortion/clean beefiness you get.

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Blend pedal? I didn't know one even existed. I've never been one to use pedals really unless I was playing guitar. What would be a good manufacturer to check out for the blend?

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know you can get one from loooper.com . Other than that I haven't really looked into many other people. I'll try googling it later. I'd check some other manufacturers out too just to make sure you find one that works for you.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I love my big, trashy and nasty American Woman OD.

7. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    syciprider you wouldn't happen to be able to grace us with some sound clips would ya. I counldn't help but notice that it was post #666 for you. That number seems to follow me everywhere. It's currently my liscense plate number as well(but not request)

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Bad Monkey by Digitech

Seriously, check it out. It is about the cheapest good OD (IMO) on the market.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I haven't any recording gear. I guess that GAS will strike me soon enough.

Oh yeah, post 666. Satan is my bitch. I fist him every night.

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    +1000 :hyper:

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Other - EHX English muff'n - pricey but valvey, ask typlyons for a reccomendation. Out of the ones you listed - fulltone bassdrive.

12. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I have a EBS MultiDrive, which I think sounds ok. It has a mode (std) where the bottom end stays clean. I also have an Ibanez called Bass Stack, and that one has the benefit of a tone control. Doesn't have the "sweetness" of the EBS, though, but more of an edgy metaltype distortion, even at moderate settings.

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Fulltone Bass-drive.

I had an ODB3, and it was just a pain. I didn't like any of the tones it gave me. Plus I noticed a lot of low-end loss w/ the ODB3. I have a sansamp programmable which is a great preamp/tone enhancer tool. I personally don't like the OD from the sansamp, but many people do. I use a fulltone bass-drive, it's perfect IMO. Smooth, warm and tubey OD but can get dirty and gritty if needed w/ plenty of booty. It works greeat w/ the sansamp too. Never heard of the Nobels, sorry.

14. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    For those that have used it, if I go with the RBI will I be able to get tones like the samples for the landmark heads?

15. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    well although it wasn't as many votes or replies as I has hoping for I can see that this thread is dead and I'd like to thank all those that participated ofr your input.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I see a toss up between the Fulltone and the SansAmp. Flip a coin.

17. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I don't understand. I use the ODB3 and have no loss of bass. In fact I have the bass eq set flat or very close to otherwise it's too bass heavy.

18. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    What bass and amp are you using and are you maxing out the bass on the amp? I tried one out for like a 1/2 hour and I couldn't get it to give me back my low end no matter what settings I put it on. I also decided that the ODB3 was not the pedal for me. It sounds to much like static rather than a nice clear difined distorion. I could smooth it out and get a decent mild distorion out of it but it still had no lows to support me.

So can anyone who owns the RBI get those Landmark's sound clip tones? And does anyone have clips of their fulltone because I can't play one unless I take a leap of faith and just order one online. I can't seem to find any shops that have one on hand. They won't plug in the RBI for me either those lazy bastards.

I have a preamp input on my firebass head. If I go with the RBI is there a way I could switch back and forth from the built-in pre and the RBI? Would it sound just as good if I pluged it into my fx loop? What would be a good amp mate for the RBI? I'll be building me a 8x10 cab real soon that'll take 1600 watts rms but right now I've got 2 15 cabs that I think will take 700 rms together. My main concern will be having an amp with enough power to get the lows clear and loud. I won't be running both the 8x10 and the 2 15 cabs together just one or another.

19. unless you keep the blend dialed right back you lose low end with the odb-3. i didn't like it at all, kinda useless unless you just want a clean boost.

i don't think the rbi really does overdrive that well, are you looking for an effect to switch in and out or a leave on sound? if it's in out i think the fulltone is what you want but then i haven't used it, the rbi will give you the landmark sounds and if you want a pre amp it's about as versatile as it gets but imo there are better overdrive sounds out there!

20. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    yeah my plan is to go on and off with the od