1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Odd pickup setup on new p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by churchy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. churchy

churchy

Sep 21, 2010
    Hello all...

Just acquired a new P Bass, and on arrival the pickups were set up in a very odd way.

Both outside screws (on each pickup) were wound all the way down and the two screws on the inside were set very high.

This meant the pickups were very close to the A & D strings and a far away from the E & G.

I know they Fender are not going to be really particular about setting everything perfect, it just seemed a bit extreme.

Anyone know a reason for this? I have never seen a setup like it.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Depends on the radius of the neck and the setup of the bridge/strings, but it's not unusual to have the pups at an angle (instead of straight). Of course, it's a bit odd if the outside of the pups are screwed all the way down and the inside being up very high.

3. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    I set my pickups on my Fender P like this as well but tend to lower the two screws on the inside a bit lower than the "factory settings" you described. I guess its suppose to balance the output?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Yes, it's supposed to balance the output. You're trying to get the poles to be equidistant from the respective string, although your playing style will likely force you to make some minor adjustments to get the best volume balance.

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thats easy enough to fix. Do you haz screwdriver?

6. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    I don't think they need to be ALL the way down, but ideally, the pickups should follow the curve of the fretboard. Thus, the outsides lower than the insides.

7. churchy

churchy

Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks fellas..

As said above, a bit of an angle is to be expected, but It was kinda of one extreme to the other.

No big deal just curious.

Anyway, adjusted them so they sit a bit flatter and she is sounding lovely.

Thanks!!

8. I wouldn't be surprised if the PO did it because it looked bitchin'.

9. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    FWIW, here's how I set mine up...Kept adjusting until I got an even string volume. I've since lowered the E side a hair more.

Attached Files:

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

Pesaonally, I have never seen one that wasnt set up like that.

I always thought that it was silly...and still debating.
    P-basses seem fine to me without makin those strings "more pronounced".

Now the E string....

:bag:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021