Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Odyssey Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmatik, Oct 19, 2004.

1. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    :( I thought someone was finally going to come up with some information regarding Odyssey basses built by Atilla Balough in the late 70s-early 80s.
    Anyhow, looks nice. Makes me think of a Tobias-y Roscoe.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There. Corrected. :p Ok, ok, you may call me a spelling-nazi, but thought I'd correct his name as i'm Hungarian as well. And maybe because you didnt know how it was properly.

However, I think there is a member here who owns or owned one of those Odysseys. I even got some pictures from an old Odyssey catalog from someone.

While the bass looks nice, but using some other luthiers name, even if he's, is not a nice thing, imo.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There used to be an outfit in Vancouver that made a basses called Odyssey. Someone was asking about them a while back, and I have a catalog, which I scanned and emailed to few people.

Different basses.

bmc

5. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i had no idea that somenone else made basses under the same name (maybe it was a long long time ago?), but one thing is sure: Odyssey basses are officialy made by luthier Iannis Ioannides in Greece. :)

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Odyssey basses were built in Vancouver from the mid 70's until the early 80's or there abouts. They had 5 or 6 different models. That had Barts, Leo Quan Badass bridges, schallers, neck thru construction.

7. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam

OK, I'll chime in cuz I got took in by the Odyssey name on this thread too. Sorry to talk about the 'other' odyssey basses but I can't help it.
    First off, let me compliment you on your beautiful greek Odyssey, I looked at their web page while researching an Odyssey myself but mine turned out to be the Van. Canada one.
    There was a guy named Attila *aka attila the hun* who made guitars in Vancover BC in the 70-80's until his death. There isn't alot of info on him, the most I could find was in the harmony reviews under Odyssey.
    I just bought an Odyssey double neck on ebay from an uninformed seller who claimed to have bought it from a prof. musician in Canada. There is a thread here called 'what is it?' that has a pic of the guitar. it is a bass on top and a guitar on bottom made of maple and neckthrough design.
    Talk rattled around on the other thread and even before I got it in the mail I had a feeling it belonged to a famous musician. Now, I may be mad.........but I found what looks like the initals "G LEE" under the varnish on the back of the guitar headstock. It may be wishful thinking as it is very faint. I paid a professional photographer to come in and take digital pics of the piece and I am waiting to recieve them soon. I cannot reduce my pics I took to a size the forum likes so I asked the pro to do it for me. I will post them when I recieve them. As for someone else using Odyssey's name??? I think Attila would be happy that at least the name is still used as there is not a trace of current info on him or his beautiful works of art. The company died with him. Sad.

8. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Actually Atilla's son Steven is building basses now, but under the Balough moniker, not Odyssey (obviously).

9. theoriz

theoriz

Jan 9, 2006
    Athens,Greece
    Back to the original subject.
    I used to own a neck through odyssey made by Ioannides in Serres, Greece.
    It featured an active bart pre, 3-band, and passive bart single coils, tiger maple top etc etc.

The bass wasn't bad, but it definately wasn't a Ken Smith. Very beautiful to look at, but that's about it. Overpriced IMHO.

10. reefferman

reefferman

May 29, 2010
    Attila balough oddesy bass, i think series 100, but mine has xtra stuff on the fretboard and has fancy hering bone binding....maybe somone can tell me more about this bass. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    This is the same as my Odyssey bass except mine is plain jane by comparison. No fancy wood, body binding or inlays on mine.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Reeferman...check your email.

13. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    the Canadian bass looks very PRS-like, with hints of Rickenbacker (pickup placement and binding)..

the Greek Odyssey looks very similar to Tung basses..

they both look very nice..

14. Sid Luscious

Sid Luscious

Mar 23, 2011
    I have one very similar to that just back from Japan. Mine is fretless, so the neck is just plain ebony, and it only has one switch, a 3-position pickup selector.

15. Still rockin' the Odyssey, Reefferman?!
    I've finally acquired one, myself, much like the one you took pictures of!

[​IMG]

16. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Last I checked, there wasn't an Odyssey bass club here on TB (hint, hint). :bag:
    Might be just the three of us, though! ;)

17. atb

atb

Feb 28, 2009
    I got one. The fretless finger board, Kahler term, and j bass p/u were mods I did over the years.

[​IMG]

18. reefferman

reefferman

May 29, 2010
    Still rockin the bass man, it's sweet to see you got one! Congratulations!I That's like good luck from what I read.