1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Off Facebook for 2 months

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by murphy, Apr 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Dip in for messages..DM?...PM

But my stress has reduced significantly...needed a break....and a little wary to indulge again.

I miss some of the staying connected to events etc, but so much stressed me because I cannot do everything I would like to anyway.....and drama and tragedy all around...ignorance is bliss.

So Talkbass is my world right now

Anyone else tried doing similar?

S-Bigbottom, joebar, J_Bass and 6 others like this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I used Instagram for a bit, but found it infringing on my life more than I wanted it to. I left it behind.

-Mike

murphy likes this.
  3. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    I’ve done the same recently, and I’m about at the two month mark as well.
    Talkbass has definitely helped when I feel the need for phone time.

Great minds think alike!

-ScottM

OldDog52, MJ5150 and murphy like this.
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Yes, and it’s quite heathy.

OldDog52 and murphy like this.
  5. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I broke with Facebook a few months back. Completely deleted my account. I got sick of the fact that I never actually got together with people or DID anything since Facebook. I also got tired of all the banality, profanity, data collecting / sharing / hacking / selling, etc. I told everyone I was leaving it behind. Not a single Facebook "friend" has bothered to contact me since. I feel a lot less stressed as well.

I read an article about ditching Facebook before I left. Best quote from it: "Facebook is a lazy way to be friends with someone."

murphy, OldDog52 and scottm like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Pretty much off TV, including cable, and social media too except for TalkBass.

I take a peek now and then. Watch a movie occasionally. Off of news programs as well.

Too many other things to think about that I like to do. Only so much brain power to go around.:thumbsup:

I have been listening to more music lately through some really good headphones I picked up not too long ago.
    All my favorites sound so much better!

7. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    The funny thing is, I'm only connected to people I know, and I don't get my news from there. I never got the hype, and I don't get the shock. It's kind of quaint.

blue4 and murphy like this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Which ones did you get?
    I bought the Buckle model from Polk in January. They were just $40, but are comfortable and sound good to me.

-Mike

murphy likes this.
  9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I did EXACTLY that on Wednesday 11/9/16.

Now I only pop in bi weekly if I need to contact somebody thru there or pimp either band's page. I do enjoy checking my Memories when I'm there, since my own memory isn't all that great :unsure:

scottm and murphy like this.
  10. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I have been much more off Facebook than on in the last year. It worsened my depression, a lot. You continue deluding yourself, lurking the lives of people that don't give a **** about you. Or "keeping in touch" with people you'll never meet again. Or "being interested" in events you'll never attend. Or longing for someone who can't even remember your face and you would do better to forget as soon as possible.
    Having had such a dysfunctional and unhealthy experience on social media is surely my fault, I know I have problems. But since I have deleted pretty much everyone and I use it only to sell stuff or ask technical advice in specific groups I live MUCH better.

scottm, murphy and OldDog52 like this.
  11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think we all agree that overall it is a toxic environment for our mood, brain and real active friendships

It also gets me very frustrated and upset at things going on locally and globally to things I care about...people and animals ...and the planet

Ironbar and oZZma like this.
  12. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I've never been completely "off" FB, but I've found that I miss a lot of life events if I stay away for too long. Like it or not, FB is still how a lot of people choose to disseminate info. A out of town friend of mine recently had a stroke, and I didn't know about it until about a month after it happened because I wasn't checking FB. His wife is posting updates there, and she doesn't know me well enough to contact me personally via text, email, etc. I guess in the pre-social media days, I likely wouldn't have heard about it at all.

Rather than turn this into a FB bashing thread (and yes, there's plenty to bash), I will say that I've found I'm happier limiting my time spent on there. But I'm not going to delete my account.

blue4 and murphy like this.
  13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree....and i have tried to encourage it as a useful tool....which it is.
    Some of us get information overload
    some friends share too much personal
    It is doing me good taking a break.....and yes...I am missing out on some friends news....some bands shows.....some tours/ events

So I will stay connected....but try to limit my time on FB.....instead of a few times a day where I get sucked in to issues I am concerned with

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Deleted my account over 2 years ago. It's occasionally inconvenient for a few minutes when I don't have another way to contact somebody I haven't seen in years, or because I miss out on actual important events in the lives of others that I would have been interested in, but on the whole I don't miss it a bit. The noise to signal ratio there is stupidly high, and the whole experience always made me itch. Much better now.

MJ5150, RDW and murphy like this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    The only use I have for FB is managing band related promotion, otherwise my account would have been deleted years ago!

This is coming from a, by definition at least, millennial. ;)

murphy likes this.
  16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    Retired
    I quit Facebook for the third and final time about a year ago - just around the time when when the latest round of privacy issues was starting to break. Only reason I got back on the third time was to run the band’s social media. Once I retired from the band, no more social media. Don’t miss one gol-danged thing about it.

murphy likes this.
  17. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I don't have Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network.

Just TalkBass and Whatsapp, for close friends and family. I hate social networks.

kobass and murphy like this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless forced (one group use it for rehearsal updates), the only thing I use it for is knowing birthdays, or when I have to find someone for work.

murphy likes this.
  19. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    Other than TB, no social media presence for the last 9 years. Occasionally inconvenient as our local Boy Scout Council uses FB,to and not much else, to promote upcoming events. Otherwise, don't miss it at all.

murphy likes this.
  20. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Social media appeals to narcissists.
    Quite often, it’s a platform to spout of your theories, feelings, politics, philosophies-
    It’s also a place to show people how ‘awesome’ Your life is.
    It’s actually a great idea on paper; FB, that is.
    But the reality is no one ever really hooks up or contacts those old friends. It’s fascinating really that the technology is there, but it doesn’t function like you’d think it would in the real world.

JimK, Chris Fitzgerald, oZZma and 2 others like this.