Oh God....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jmann, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Last night i was jamming with my band. My brand new (to me) 96 warwick thumb NT fell off the stand and smacked on to the floor... hard. I picked it up to check out the damage and at first nothing looked wrong and it was still in tune. After playing for a few minutes i noticed a crack in the neck from the 1st fret to the 3rd fret. this wasnt there when i got it. then I curled up into a ball on the floor and cried for hours. What do I do?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    1) Post a pic so we can point and laugh
    2) wait for people's advice on what to do from there... depending on the crack you may or may not need to have it fixed. Hence the pic ;). That's about all I can tell ya... wait for some of the real dudes to chime in

3. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    If you're in the US, call Rob Busch at Dana B Goods. The number's (805) 644-6621. He's easily the best tech I've ever had the chance to talk to.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I feel your pain so clearly I got pissed at Ray's #1 comment. That's almost like making a joke abouta death in the family. The empathy shown in #2 redeemed the #1 statement. :)

I would call Dale Titus at Warwick 877-747-4734 and tell him the people at Talkbass sent ya. He has been unbelievably helpful to the people here. It may cost you, but I think he'll do all he can to ease your pain for as little money as possible.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    :D I just know sometimes you can get away without it even having to be fixed... I had a friend this happened to ona Les Paul, he took it to his tech and it could've been clamped/glued or filled, whichever he wanted. He went with the filled cos it was CONSIDERABLY cheaper, and the turn around was a few days quicker as well. That was three years ago and he hasn't had a bit of a problem since.

6. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Need some pics to ases the damage :eyebrow:
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That sucks dude. All I can say is CALL YOUR TECH, take it in and get it looked at!
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    One thing you can do for an incolpete fracture is fill it with glue. You can use a syringe with a needle to fill it. You can usually get them at farm stores, but you have to sign your name to get them. So if any illegal activity happens with them, they know who bought them... But anyways, you can usually fill a small crack like this and then clamp as needed. Titebond II glue works very well in most cases.
  10. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    the exact same thing happened to me except i have a corvette. crack in the neck right at the nut down to about the second fret on both side. anyway i just took to a guitar repair and he glued to somehow and replaced the nut. now you cant even notice there was crack. like brand new. dont get too worried, find a good repair guy and i think it can be fixed.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would definitely call Dale at Dana B Goods before you do anything.

Most likely, filling the crack in with good glue will correct the problem, and you will never have any more problems. This is something best left to a qualified luthier.

I am moving this to our Setup forum, since it is repair oriented. Lots of guys in that Forum who really know their stuff.
  12. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Dale is definitely the man!!! :)