Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oh no i suck! please help me

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by erikerik10, Sep 27, 2005.

1. erikerik10

erikerik10

Sep 27, 2005
    i just messed up my bass and i dont know how to fix it :bawl: . i cut the wires from the pickups to the knobs because i was repainting it and i needed the pickup out. my dad said to do that because we could electric tape it back together. that does not work. what should i do? could i just take it to sam ash or guitar center and they could fix it? its just that the cords are cut and i cant put them back together. please help. i didnt know my dad would steer me wrong. thanks.

-erik

2. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    Where exactly are they cut? Close to the knob or close to the pickups. A picture will show if possible. Then may be I can help

3. First off... that's kind of funny. But don't worry, it isn't a big deal. I take it that from this sort of advice you don't have a soldering iron or any experience at soldering? Like Rene asked, let us know where you cut the wires. I hope that you did it right next to the pots because that'll make the repair somewhat easier.

4. erikerik10

erikerik10

Sep 27, 2005
    hey thanks for the concern guys, but my dad actually fixed it. he just stripped the wire and electrical taped it back together. haha. but yea its all good now. my dad and i just cut the wires right in the middle, close to nothing.

5. at some point..

tint the wires with soilder and soilder them back together.. then get some electricians shrink wrap and lightly warm it with a light so it shrinks round the wire for a proper connection.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Not only is it a better connection, but it looks more professional and doesn't take up as much room in the control cavity as spliced wire and electrical tape.