1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh the irony!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Think he knows? :D

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I don't think he has a clue. Sad really. It is amazing how the Jihadihist have learned to use the West love for freedom of expression against us. I have a suggestion, Why don't we limit freedom of expression (for religions) only for those religions who practice freedom of expression in the lands they control.:D

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That someone photoshopped the picture? Probably not.

4. I don't think it's a photoshop. Here's an article showing a different photo of the same sign. By the way, it's related to the Danish cartoon/Muhammad thing from last year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,1701518,00.html

5. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    [​IMG]

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You are right - the first picture has a lot of photoshop hallmarks, but it may just be bad lighting or a quality reducting on the cut and paste. There is sufficient stories about this sign that indicate that it is real.

I'll admit it is a pretty ironic picture out of context, but in context the sign does make sense.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Are you sure it's not from the recent Salman Rushdie contreversy?

8. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    oh the irony

is his shirt wrinklyyy or somethin

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No, its defintely from the cartoons - the photo was taken in the UK.

10. Maybe he's insulting a family named 'Morans'. Maybe...

I've seen a guy in my town cruising proudly in his pimped out 70s Bronco w/the word 'BODATIOUS' on the hood. I'd point out the spelling error if I didn't think he'd kick my ass...

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I respect any kind of discourse that involves writing hateful messages on a placard and holding it above your head. In a society over-reliant upon technology, its nice to see some old-school idiocy!

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    idiots.jpg

Here you go!

13. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Would you be saying that if it was a Christian holding that sign?

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Why would it make a difference? If it was the in the same context then it would also be ironic out of context and make sense in context.

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

I would, yes. The 'God Hates Fags' signs are just as bad (if not worse) in my view.

16. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I don't see how it's any less ironic in context. :confused:

17. Is that any way to talk about the actress who played Joanie on "Happy Days"?

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well the sign is clearly referring to the argument that the cartoons in question were okay because they fall under "freedom of expression". Hence it makes sense to say that it can burn in hell (ie freedom of expression). If you actually read what I wrote - instead of what you thought I wrote - then you would see I never said it wasn't ironic, just that it makes sense in context.

19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    It is interesting that you can now condemn an abstract concept to the fires of Hell. 'Pursuit of Happiness'? Burn in Hell! 'Individual Thought'? Burn!!!!!!!!

:rollno:

20. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    You wrote:"I'll admit it is a pretty ironic picture out of context, but in context the sign does make sense."

It's kind of odd to preface your comment about it making sense in context, with an admission that it's pretty ironic out of context, unless you're saying that it isn't ironic in context.

But OK, yeah, it makes sense, and yet ice cream is delicious.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021