Oh, this just bites!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassic83, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I recently joined a cover band and have done a couple gigs with them already. The other players in the band have expressed to the front man that they are very happy with my playing, and were not all that happy with the former guy. After last weeks' gig, the frontman told me we were playing a private party about an hour away, for very respectable money ($350 a man respectable!). This afternoon I was at the airport, and missed a call from him. He left me a message on my voicemail which I retrieved a few minutes after he had called (18 minutes, to be exact- you can't fly a plane and talk on the cell phone at the same time, if you want to live...). I was expecting directions to the gig and attire, setup times, etc...you know, the general details. Instead, he told me he was using his old bass player for the gig, until I get my vocals worked into the set. He said he was going to give me $100 for my aggravation...but canceling me a couple hours before the gig? After I was told I was playing, and had been expecting to play all week??? I know all the tunes stone cold, I sing all the harmonies quite well and I have an ear for grabbing another part if my natural choice is being sung. ***?? :mad: :mad:

This is the second time he's done this, and I'm about fed up. This is Romper Room crap. The last time it was for a $75 gig around the corner from my house, and I had a day and a half notice. This one was two hours before I was to leave. Already had my rig packed into my car, and had changed to semi-dress clothes (it was a casual affair). I think I'm going to tell him to go ahead and use his old bass player from now on, call me and pay me a week in advance if it's an emergency,and rejoin my old band, even though these guys are better. Am I completely out of line for declaring myself a "free agent"? I could have had a $250 gig lined up for tonite, if I'd have known more than four hours before downbeat.
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Tell him what you just said here
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
  4. Yep, that's very unprofessional of him. It sounds like there is more going on with these guys? Is he good friends with the old bass player or something? Do you two not get along? How he treated you is pretty inexcusable, IMO. Your plan of action makes sense, to me.
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    He's good friends with all of his old band. I think he longs for the old days when they had a house gig 3-4 nites a week. Pretty sure the guitar player is going to seek another situation as well. The drummer played with him for years, but prefers me, and said as much to me.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Since this guy has already cancelled on you twice, tell him if he wants you to play for him, you need to be paid in advance. ;)

Or, better yet... ...Paid prior to any rehearsals leading up to the next gig.

That will probably grate his cheese! :D
  7. You really want to grate his cheese, ask the drummer and geetar player, if they want to join YOU and YOUR band, and leave the singer and old bass player to fend for themselves...this has happened to me as well, and I learned my lesson, and then moved on.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Unfortunatly, that happens in this business. It's happend to me on more than one occassion, and usually, it's the same one or two bands that do it.

I don't feel it's very ethical to be paid the entire amount upfront when I haven't played the gig. I also don't feel right taking the full amount for a gig I did not play.

What I do is charge these and most bands anywhere from 20%-60% deposit just for taking the time to learn the songs they want me to play. The percentage is based on the risk I run for being stiffed. If you have never cancelled on me then it's only 20% -30%, if you have cancelled on me in the past within 24 hours of the show it's 60%.

It has killed a bit of business for me, but in the long run it's well worth it because only those who are serious will seek my services and I feel that time is money, learning songs takes time and had they not needed/wanted me, then I'd not have to be learning specific songs.
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You're right about the being paid before I play, I think I'll ask for a deposit of 50-60%. After all, I could get hit by a bus or something... :eek:
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    20 some odd years ago, we did a gig for our booking agent. It was basically a "feebie." We played a frat gig/ beer bash for $100.00. We did this with the promise of some gravy gigs later on (yeah, I know-stupid,stupid, stupid!) After our first set, this guy strolls up and tells us everything sounds great. He then said "I am the guy who pays the bands, I am going to give you 25.00 now, and the other 75.00 when you finish." We had all agreed to do this gig in advance, and once we were there it really sank in how much we had lost by doing this. When that idiot told us he was not going to pay us till we finished, we almost killed him.