Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohio Luthiers???

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PIZZAcato, Feb 24, 2006.

1. I live in Canton, Ohio and my bass hasn't been looked at in a long time (At least since '89 at Horn & Sons). By the way, I was born in '89!!! I inherited the bass and it has some small cracks and some knicks but that seems to be all, at least to me. But I am not a luthier! Also I'm looking to get some adjusters on it. Looking for a good, reliable and close luthier.

Thanks,
    -Mike

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Reese Williams - (440) 333-5984. He's up by the Cleveland airport. He did all of the work on my 1907 Hawkes Panormo as well as my wife's 200 year old violin while we lived in Northeast Ohio.

3. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    If you can make the drive, check out Andy Stetson at the Cinci Bass Cellar. His work is AMAZING!
    I took my bass into him for some minor crack work and such, and it came out of the shop sounding 300 percent better. Their setup work is awsome as well. It's not that bad of a drive, I live in Akron, and it was only about 3 and a half hours if you hott foot it. But def. worth it!

4. LaurenBell

LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't know about up near Cleveland, but I know near Cincinnati we have quite the selection. Nick Lloyd, Andy Stetson, Bill Lakeburg (I own one of his basses). Any way you can't really go wrong. They're all great guys and great luthiers.

5. If you want somewhere closer than Cincy, I would take it to Reese as jallenbass stated above. I went there on his recommendation, and am very pleased with the work Reese just did on my bass. The neck came off of it and cracked the scroll when my dogs knocked my bass over. I got the bass back better than it was before the accident occured.

Peter Horn of Horn and Sons is still around and working from his house now, but I would highly recommend Reese over him.

6. Thanks guys. They all aren't too expensive, are they?

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Pizzaman,
    Here are a couple more in your neighborhood:
    Horst Uebel in Parma, (440) 842-5576
    Joe Martin in N. Canton, (330) 499-3116
    Rodger Stearns in Hartville, (330) 877-8584

And there are more in the Columbus and Cince areas. No shortage of luthiers in OH that's for sure.

8. Do-Da

Do-Da Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Columbus, OH 43214
    I would highly recommend The Loft in Columbus. I had top-notch work done there several times. My bass is a Lusch, made by Joseph Lusch after he and Peter Horn left
    Scherl and Roth up in Cleveland. Fine bass, and better since I had the folks at the Loft do some work on it. Do-Da

9. Expense is a relative term. A quality repair or setup by a genuine bass luthier is worth every cent. I am sure you could find someone with minimal experience ("Hey, I built a doghouse out of wood. How different can working on a bass be??") and knowledge who would do work much cheaper. BUT then you could be out additional expense to repair the "repair".

I would never suggest that amatuers cannot perform decent work but I have seen many, many, many hack jobs on bridges, soundposts, fingerboards, cracks, and open seams.

10. Homba

Homba

Apr 7, 2009
    I realize this thread is old, but I can attest to Joe Martin - good guy and does good work. Wanted to put in a plug for him. Bought my bass from him and was very pleased with his skills and advice.