Ohio Players Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 17, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im chillin out right now listeing to the groove these guys got goin on and I have no idea who the bassist is.

He reminds me a bit of Bootsie, but I dont think its him.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Marshall Jones aka "Rock".

He and "Sugarfoot" (lead singer)laid down some monster grooves back in tha day!
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    as per Bass Player a few months back, he's got a local blues thing going. Picture showed him with a Squier P... missing knobs and all.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Any idea of who this guys influances are? I was really feeling his groove and would be able to understand what makes him tick a bit more in depth if I knew.
  5. He looks blazed in that picture, but I love his bass chops. Does he have a known drug history? :D
  6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Man every other song these Guys Did Killed!

7. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I really dug the Ohio Players when I was comin up through the ranks. Lot's O' great bass playin from that era. I need to go put "Fire" on the stereo right now in fact! :bassist:

Attached Files:

8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I've heard two of their songs. "Fire" and "Love Rollercoaster" I had no idea that they originally did it before the Chillie Peppers played it. I don't really care for Skin Tight, but it does have a good groove to it. I gotta listen for more stuff by these guys, cause so far every bass line is smokin'.
  9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Here's a chicken or the Egg question.

Skin Tight is VERY similar to a Fred Wesley and the JB's Tune (I forget the name of) . Which Came First?

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Drug History? umm, like a prescription report? :meh:

Rock reminds me of a Samuel L. Jackson in that pic. He is still a funky mutha...
  11. My love enflared when I heard O-H-I-O for the first time on a funk collection CD I got. Wow, great stuff man, great stuff. Do tehy have a greatest hits? I have love rollercoaster, fire, and o-h-i-o by them.

P.S. Flea BUTCHERED the line from Love Rollercoaster by slapping it so much.
  12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You definetly want a hits record with these guys.What I tried to say earlier and nobody got my back is,On the albums every other song is a ballad/Funktune/ballad/funk ect.......

13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I didn't get back with you 'cause I didn't know.
    I would suspect Fred Wesley influenced "Skin Tight".

The Ohio Players' ballads were nicely played, too.
  14. jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, O-H-I-O. Far East Mississippi, Funky Worm, Man that brings back some memories of back in the day get blazed and jamming to the funk. The players laid down a ton of funky basslines that you should check out. I always loved the album covers.....