1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OHM SWEET OHM HELP, PLEASE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz Fluhart, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Buzz Fluhart

Buzz Fluhart

Jan 10, 2008
    Hello Everyone. I need some advice please. I want to purchase a vintage Randall RB-120 bass head (see link to photo, below) and on the back the Speaker Jack states "Output 120 Watts RMS at 4 ohms, but right above it, states "External Speaker 8 ohms"(see link to photo, below). This resembles something I've seen on many combo amps with an extra (external) Speaker Jack, bot not on a head-only unit, such as this, with no speaker. This amp head was not cut away or removed from a combo unit...it was manufactured this way. I am wondering what OHM cabinet I should use to obtain full power....4 or 8 ohm? I was thinking that Randall mass produced RB-120 combo amps and just didn't bother to print a new label for the head-only unit, such as this one.
    Any help or information y'all can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Everyone.

Attached Files:

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of the situation.

It appears the amp is fine at four ohms, and that a combo version had an internal eight ohm speaker.

Count Bassie likes this.
  3. are there any more 1/4 inch outs? You could probably play it through a 4 ohm, but you could just get an 8 ohm and be safe...then later add another 8 ohm cab, if it's truly a 4 ohm head

4. Buzz Fluhart

Buzz Fluhart

Jan 10, 2008
    Thanks, Rick. I appreciate you taking the time to review and respond to my inquiry. Be well, stay safe, and let music live within you !!
    --- Ken

5. Buzz Fluhart

Buzz Fluhart

Jan 10, 2008
    No, Turbo...just one Speaker Out Jack, which is what's confusing me. Not only does it state "Output 120 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms", but "External Speaker 8 ohms" also....which is weird because since it is only a head, ANY speaker used would have to be "External". But I have both 4 and 8 ohm cabinets and will take your suggestion of using an 8 ohm cabinet just to be safe. Thanks very much for your time and help with my inquiry. Be well and keep playing !!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020