ok, guys...which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Jan 1, 2004.

lefay or mtd?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2004.
  1. lefay herr schwarz

26 vote(s)
  2. mtd 535

28 vote(s)
  1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    alright, after a pretty good bit of research i've narrowed it down to 2 basses...i'm going to be pulling the trigger soon on either a lefay herr schwarz or either an mtd 535...i know they're really nothing alike, but both will satisfy my needs, as would a zillion other basses, but hey, i like the way these look best ;)

just for info, the mtd has a primavera body with a maple/maple neck and board while the lefay has an ash body with a padouk neck and board. i've talked with both reiner and mike, and they're both great guys...customer service, workmanship, sound, all of the above are really great with both guys, so i'm not even conecerned with either bass...just thought i'd get you guys' opinion.
  2. Both are beautiful but I would go with the MTD, just becasue I like a maple board(and I've never played either so thats all I have to go on).
  3. Le Fay!
    Just gorgeous.
    the padouk neck and board...Il like it!:cool:
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'd go with the LeFay while you've got the cash, as they're almost non-existent in the US. MTDs are on the used market pretty often, so if you decide you don't like the LeFay, you could easily sell it to finance a used MTD, but the opposite isn't true. Also, I just think it's a much cooler bass ;)
  5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Much as I like the MTD stuff, I'd have to say go with the LeFay. I played a Pangton model (with the three pickups) a while back, and the tone blew pretty much every other bass in the shop out of the water. Awesome. You will not be disappointed.

Russ :bassist:
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i love the 535 i even owned one...tim cole has it now..and it won't give it back *sigh....my mistake..lol

but would say the lefay no doubt....

7. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    what is lefay's website?
  8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
  9. Hmmmm... both are gorgeous, sexy and delicious to look at. Haven't played either one myself.

Let's say that, after becoming the proud owner of the LeFay or the MTD, you grew tired of your bass one day, or needed some cash. I'd bet the MTD will have better resale.

But, resale is insignificant if you never sell the item.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    another one for the Lefay!!!!
  11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    The LeFay looks gorgeous, I'd pick it over the MTD.
  12. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'll have to go with the MTD, so beautiful and so many wonderful tones. I love the primavera body. Mmmm......:)
  13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I don't have a clue as to what a LeFay sounds like, but having finally having a chance to put my hands on an MTD535 today, I gotta say that it is a sweet bass.

If you want different, go with the LeFay. If you want tried and true, go with the MTD. If it were my money and I were spending it today, I'd be on the MTD.

14. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    hmmm...i think the LeFay is gorgeous. that curvature... enough to make a guy happy. most of the people with follow up posts voted for lefay, while the mtd guys just voted and ran. that could tell you something i guess. just my $.02.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Haven't played a LeFay so far. I own an MTD 635. Excellent bass.

For me it would be a known vs. an unknown. Is there a return policy for either or both basses? That would weigh heavily on my decision. The LeFay is definitely different and if it plays up to it's rep it would probably be my choice, because it's different. I'd have to be fairly sure it had a good chance of being a keeper because who knows what the resale value might be. Remember, resale is based on not only what the market perceives the value to be, it also hinges on having someone actually stepping up and spending the actual money to buy yours;)

Are they in the same price range? Just curious.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  17. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I voted for the MTD 535 for the same reason. I
    Have never played a FeFay. Looks like a great bass
    but I have never played one. Maybe I should not
    have voted.:( ;)
  18. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That lefay is gorgeous... the first one I've seen actually. I'd love to play one.
  19. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    what what?? what did i say?
  20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the lefay is about 1800.00 american...the mtd is about 3200.00