1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, HTC EVO?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Nov 3, 2010.

1. I did search, found a BIT out, but want to know more DIRECT info from anyone that has this phone, if possible.

I've been using an AT&T iPhone (1st gen) for several years, putting up with the HORRIBLE reception at my house, and have just about had it. So, since I'm month-to-month with AT&T right now, I can jump ship whenever I like, and we're about to add both my wife & stepdaughter (14th b-day prez).

Any major negatives about either the phone or Sprint? Any major kudos? Should I consider something else?

FWIW, I do a lot of e-mail for both work (MS) and personal (AOL...yeah, I know, laugh if you like, but I've had the SAME e-mail addy since 1996 and I ain't changin' now); work in Excel a LOT; and do some surfing. If it had the physical keyboard, I'd probably already be sold....I checked out the BB Torch at AT&T, and if it weren't for the reception at home, it was a no-brainer, really liked it.

I played with an EVO at the local Sprint store last night, and it's a neat toy from what I can tell, but I want to hear any and all reasons to get or not get it...so, TBers: FIRE AWAY!

:hyper:

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't have any direct knowledge, but a good friend of mine has one and loves it. Sprint's coverage in my area is pretty mediocre, but it might be better where you are. As far as the features of the phone go, it looks like a worthy competitor to the iPhone.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    My phone makes phone calls. [/ralph wiggum]

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I hear Brett Favre has an HTC EVO.

Seriously though, get a Droid and get on Verizon's network.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sprint customer here... love the plan, love the network.

I own a Samsung Moment and since you mentioned the want for a keyboard... GET THE EPIC!

http://now.sprint.com/epic4g

I've used the Evo a bit (we have one in out work test lab) and it's a nice device... I just prefer the physical keyboard of the Epic and Moment.

6. Heh, must have used that really good camera for his texting work....

...Verizon is a non-starter because their service sucks as much as AT&T's does at the house. The EVO is an Android platform phone, so it does what the Droid does...

Thanks for the input so far folks - even you, Pookie. :spit: ;)

7. Played with the Epic a bit too...liked the keyboard, but it felt...flimsy...compared to the EVO at least. The EVO felt very solid to me, and while I liked the slide-out keyboard on the Torch, the one on the Epic didn't really inspire a lot of confidence.

Thanks! :)

8. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I've got the Evo. Coming from a "dumb" phone, I had to adjust to needing to manage battery life. But after learning how to properly use a portable electronic device, I usually get home from work and still have 50-60% battery with normal usage. It charges with a standard micro-USB cable, so if you keep a couple around you can usually charge it anywhere. That's my only real complaint, but it seems to be a complaint with most smart phones with large screens and big processors. Call quality, reception, and reliability are all top notch. Never had a dropped call since I got the phone. The Evo constantly beats out my friend's iphones in internet speed as well, even on plain 3g. When I get 4g coverage there is obviously no competition. This is something that is obviously region based...

You'll probably miss a couple apps when you go to the Android platform, but you'll pick up a few more cool ones. Something you won't miss are the outrageously priced AT&T plans.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'm with Sprint and like them although their customer service is a little slow. Without going into too much detail (I tried to edit it out to make it seem less like a novel), the first bill I got was substantially higher than what I expected and the process of trying to figure it out involve talking with a teenager that had a 1st graders knowledge of how to use a calculator. It was then explained to me that the first bill is always high due to the pro-rating from the middle of the month getting tacked on to the full amount of the next month in addition to all the taxes that I had expected. They bill a month in advance.

Then I wanted to sign up for the automatic bill pay and change around my due date to coincide with payday, which they were fine with setting up. I then got sent multiple statements with different amounts and even though I thought I had it figured out my account overdrafted anyways by like $11 (plus the OD fees). Apparently they had to pro-rate again in order to get my use lined up with what I've paid but failed to explain this to me, at least in a way I could understand.

I admit to operator error but I was pretty confused by all the billing statements. The last time I called customer service (3rd party it seemed like) after the overdraft occurred; they were just as confused as I was, and really couldn't offer anything to smooth things over. Not that I expected anything but take Comcast for instance, I've lost a days worth of service with Comcast and called to complain and before I was finished they offered to credit me for the day, I consider that good customer service. I was hoping Sprint would help me out in a similar fashion, at least a couple of bucks off the next bill to make up for the confusion/overdraft, but they didn't really offer anything except to agree with me that the billing was confusing. Again It certainly wasn't expected but would have been nice.

After the dust settled I have had zero issues with sprint. The plan is good, the reception is good. I think the lesson here is to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you sign up. If you want your bill to be automatically taken out of your account make sure it will occur at a time when your account will cover it and set it up that way from day one of the contract,...changing the due dates around is what messed me up. After all is said and done (not taking into account the higher bill on the first month and the snafu with changing my dates around) the bill is around what the salesman told me it would be including taxes and fees.

The wife and I have the Samsung Reclaim and I plan on upgrading my phone to an EVO once I'm eligible. If you want one of the better phones get it when you sign up or you aren't eligible for the upgrade (meaning that you'll have to pay full price and the EVO is approaching 5 bills) until you've completed a year on your contract. Since you are getting the EVO,...I'd get the Everything Data plan which gives you unlimited Data (internet/GPS/whatever your phone may be capable of),...although there might be something better for a family of 3 (we are a family of 2).

Sorry for the Novel.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    ^How about both you guys buy me the beer you owe me before you buy a phone? :eyebrow:

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Well I'm sure you'll get your beer before March.

12. I used to use Sprint, and I had to leave them because their service was terrible. By terrible, I mean whenever I went to the Sprint store, regardless of the reason why, regardless of which store, I had to wait in line for at least an hour, usually more. I don't know if it was the corporate culture or something else, but getting in and out of there was always an ordeal.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Awesome. :scowl:

14. I heard a noise...was that a mosquito?? :confused: Naw...couldn't be, too cold for 'em now here...

(Dude, soon, trying to get 'em out on Friday...and I ain't gettin' no phone yet, gonna be at least 2 weeks...:p )

15. kful

kful

Apr 25, 2009
    Garden Grove, CA
    I have the Evo. No complaints about the phone or the service. There are very few spots where I don't have internet, and even fewer spots where I don't have phone service.

Here is a LINK with some good tips on saving battery life. These made a big difference for me.

I just bought 2 extra batteries with a wall charger on eBAy LINK. I saw a few good reviews of this set on various Evo forums (there's a forum for just about anything nowadays :D). They ship from Hong Kong. Others have said the shipping is much faster than the seller (jimshop168) states. Not affiliated with this guy.

16. kful

kful

Apr 25, 2009
    Garden Grove, CA
    I forgot to mention. The two batteries and charger are $10.00 with shipping.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What does AOL charge you per month to keep your address with them?

-Mike

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

my inlaws use AOL still as a web interface to their cable modem. It's free (other than my time fixing it).

19. Like Mr. Hart said: nada. :)

Otherwise, I WOULD have bailed...

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    and I should say, for my Mother-in-law and her lack of technical comprehension, AOL works just fine. The constant fixing is more her uncanny ability to click the absolute worst things at every opportunity :smug: