1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, I admit I was wrong; the FX25B is good

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    although a pain to dial in.
    For my style and bass it's set at:
    blend - off (or a tiny bit up)
    sensitivity - full on
    range - 9:00

This gets reasonably close to my Mutron III (set at BP, range -low; drive -up)

Is there any way to boost the affected output of the FX25B without another piece of gear?

From a fair amount of searches, it looks like the avocodo green FX25 doesn't have this level issue; how about the metalic green FX25; does it have the lower affected volume problem?

May the funk be with you :bassist:

2. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    ive just purchased an FX25B, i love it but the volume drop renders it useless if used with a drummer.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    FX25: I have the lime green one and have had the sparkle one and they actually both boost in volume a little bit.

4. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks Mud; sounds like either one will fix the voume problem of the FX25B

I had thought that I read about some subtle differences between the lime green and sparkle finish versions by Bongo in an old post but can't find it now.
    Do your 2 sound the same?

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I traded off the sparkle like 10 years ago so... But to me they are about the same over all. I'm sure there is "some" difference but I'm going to say it is minor.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I have the kiwi green fx25b and there's a little volume loss, which you can offset by setting the blend at its minimal, as mentionned.

I got a first issue FX25 off the Bay last week and expecting it on Tuesday. Will post a brief review then.

7. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ??? Can you post a pic of the "kiwi green" one? The b's look more like metallic turquoise bluish-green usually, I haven't seen a b that looks like "kiwi" (but of course I understand these words are all pretty open to interpretation :)).

8. Bassmike62

Geez....

Just looked at it again and you're right, it IS a blue-ish green/aqua like color... could've sworn it was kiwi-like. Do pedal change colors once they're in a pedal board ? Or wait ! Maybe up here, our kiwis are blue-ish green / aqua-like ???

:rollno:

Can't copy it, but here's a link to an identical model (sorry about the color boob)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOD-FX25B-Envel...emQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item1e5af8a1df

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    kiwi_fruit_1_by_annette.jpg

kiwi.jpg
    ;)

10. Andy Walhor

Andy Walhor

Jun 21, 2009
    No, you have to cut them open. They’re green on the inside.

11. Bassmike62

Ahh ! Just like klingons !!

12. lol im biding on this item haha

13. my FX25 is a good little pedal. its the sparkle version. for the price of the thing you can't complain, it is a one trick pony, but it does that one trick well. i dont think it can be your only envelope filter, it won't end your quest for the perfect filter but it can give a good funky tone.

however i don't think it works well with slap. it just gets a little uncontrollable. it could be my technique, but im just saying.

all in all a funky little green monster!

14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Of course I can't find it now, but during yesterdays 1 hour search for possible volume mods (there are none on the interweb), I found a pictorial history of thse units. Seems like the early, 2-knob FX25's were solid color pea greeen (early ones had different knobs) and then later went to turquoise metallic (some on ebay right now). The b's were all turquoise metallic.

Bongo, did I remember you writing that the FX25, pea green units were slightly different than the turquoise models (and more desireable)?

So now I have a 25B, and last night paid way too much for a pea green FX25; today's question: where can I buy a battery door?

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I have six of the seven different versions (that I know of) of the FX25/b that they made. All of them have small variations in the components, but the earliest (non-sparkly) ones have more significant variations. It's the same basic circuit concept, but implemented a little bit differently. That "pictorial history" was probably a photo I posted of the six I have.

I wrote a short article about filters, and in the last section of it I talk specifically about the FX25: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/filter.shtml

16. Bassmike62

Very interesting article indeed, got me hooked. Do you have the link to the pictorial history ?

17. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I knew I saw that somewhere.
    Thanks, next time I'll think to look in FAQ's

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG]

It goes chronologically L-R and top-down. I saw one on Ebay that was halfway between the two darker green ones, but I don't know if that was a "seventh version" or if they were just using up decals and knobs from the second one when they started making the third one. :)

19. Bassmike62

Thx !

I currently have the bottom middle one and should receive tomorrow or Wednesday the first issue (top right ?) I bought on the Bay last week.

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Top left was first. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020