Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok i got a problem!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ok here goes.

im trying to find a bass teacher but i cant. i live in wales in the uk and wherever i look i cant seem to find one.

does anyone here know anywhere or anyone that might be able to help.

i know its a long shot as this is mostly an american site but anythings worth a go.

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'm not from wales, nor do I know if these teachers are still available, but here's some help....

www.bassworld.co.uk

Have you asked around local music stores? Ask other local musicians, they might know somebody?

Sorry I can't help more.

3. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Hey I live in Wales, in pontypridd, where exactly are you? if you wanted to I could tutor you.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    To get with a good teacher, you may have to travel. You probably know that all ready, but I know of a good teacher who is planning to move to New York, USA in the 2nd semister 2006. He's very reliable and doesn't just teach for the money only. He's more interested in sharing his knowledge. He may also hop over to London if needed.

Keep a look out!

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    ????

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I don't think Metalhead is going to travel to London (or NY!) to get some lessons.

7. very true. thats a long way to go. and petrol money's a little tight at the min.

i live in tonypandy in the rhondda. what experince do you have?

8. What do do: Check out a lot of bands that play in your area. Are there any jazzgroups around? Any soul bands? Find out if there is, and go see them! If you like the bassist, hook up with him and as him if he gives lessons.

9. Thats not a bad idea. there is a couple of bands i've seen recently, one of them i thought the base player rocked on next time i see them i think i'll ask him.

there not jazz or soul. does that matter?

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    With a name like "metalhead" I suspect it won't :)

11. what me. oh the shame i've been discovered.
    :bawl:

actually i have a very broad taste in music everything from jaco to sonny boy williamson to pink floyd. surprisingly i have very little interest in metal other than old stuff like maiden and metallica. and want to learn as many styles as posible. :D

12. Well, it depends. If you wanna learn proper technique a jazz-bassist is most likely preferable. You don't have to play jazz - usually these guys can teach you other styles as well. The problem with rock bassist is that many of them don't really practice, and their technique is not very good. (Not saying this goes for everyone, off course!)
    But hey, if you see a great metalbassist you dig, go ask him for lessons. If it sounds good for you, it's all good!

13. wow i never thought i'd have so many responses. thanks everyone. I LOVE YOU LOT :bawl:

damn i just had a full blown EMO moment then but its ok im better now :hyper:

14. not really the nicest of people are you :scowl: . I dont think any of the above comments really help anyone do they?

:rollno:

if you cant be nice dont say anything. that way you might get more friends, like one or something.

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Let me translate for you.

???? = I am completely baffled that you suggested a teacher in New York to someone asking about teachers in Wales. Even if they were willing to relocate to London, we're still talking about a 10 hour plus round trip for the student.

16. bump

anyone know anything it would really help.