Ok, music retirement is over

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimmyM, Oct 22, 2021.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yep, you heard me. I am getting back into the game. I recently had a mild heart attack and got two stents put in, and at age 60, I am never going to put myself in a position where I have to keep a job I get so stressed over.

To that end, I am also splitting with my wife of 21 years. I still love her, but the only reason I played in that oldies band I used to play for so long is because of the nut on the expensive house she insisted we buy, and same for the cable company I’ve been working at for the past year. I don’t mind a day job but I’ll never stick with one I don’t enjoy again because I don’t have to. My wife is a great person in many ways and I will never talk bad about her, but we no longer get along as a couple and I am not going to live my golden years with that kind of pressure again or I will croak.

So don’t cry for me, Argentina ;). We both seem to be happier this way. And besides, I miss doing what I do best. I will never again work with an a-hole BL like the one in that oldies band, and if a woman doesn’t like my scaled back lifestyle, I will be happy to show her the door. It’s my life and I’ll do what I want, as Eric Burdon once sang.

Yay for me!

SheaNC, Glenn Mac, dberman and 357 others like this.
  2. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    Yay for you indeed! Glad you’re happy and on the road to healthy. Nothing but good wishes to you and your ex.

3. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Life is short. No need to be unhappy if you can do something about it.

I recently took on a couple of big voluntary life changes myself. It was simply time to do so. Although the dust is still settling, I know I made the right call.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Right on Jimmy, wishing you all the best wherever the road ahead leads.

5. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Whew, big changes Jimmy! But it sounds like you're on the right path. Stay healthy, and best of luck!

6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Good for you. Wishing you health and happiness!

Kingmixer325, Low8, Mr Cheese and 3 others like this.
  7. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    You got to be happy. Ain't no point in living if you ain't. Wishing you the very best! :bassist:

8. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Sounds like a breakthrough!
    You wouldn't be the first to figure out that you're better friends than spouses, so I can imagine it's a huge relief. You sound like you have a new lease on life, so I'm excited for you. Looking forward to hearing where the new adventure leads you.

barrenelly, Subatomic and JimmyM like this.
  9. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Wishing you a happy future @JimmyM, glad you’re on the road to recovery and things that make you happy.

In a way it’s a good thing that you and the mrs are amicable, better to part as friends and not have any animosity towards each other. Sometimes it just doesn’t work.

Scaled back lifestyle is the best, less pressure and more fun, best wishes to you.

10. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi Jimmy,

Those are a couple of tough decisions. But you are right. You have just one life and it would be a waste to do things that you don't like. I wish you the best of luck I music, life and health!

Kingmixer325 and JimmyM like this.
  11. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Yep, 2 stents and end of marriage at 50. 61 now. Things are better and there's more contentment. Red pill is good.

Congrats and be well, Jim.

12. MG Wolf

MG Wolf Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    Amen Sir Jimmy, Enjoy Every Sandwich. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow! I'm glad you're feeling better. I wish you all the best with whatever is next.

14. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Job, Wife ,BL...trifecta!!

barrenelly, jmarcus2, JimmyM and 10 others like this.
  15. Best wishes to you for your future . . .

JimmyM likes this.
  16. Jeez, Jimmy..next thing you’ll be telling us you switched to Jazz basses exclusively… and to Mesa.

Taking personal control of your gift of life is certainly a means of showing appreciation for it. Wishing peace upon you and the former Mrs, and while I hope to never find myself in that predicament, I’ve have heard many state that a late divorce was the best thing that ever happened to them. Now get your chops back up and go find a fulfilling gig, Homeslice.

barrenelly, jmarcus2, JimmyM and 8 others like this.
  17. Good for you Jimmy! I always enjoy your posts. You worked hard for your retirement so now is the time to enjoy it, your way. You can't please everyone, you just have to please yourself. Now find a band and rock with a big big smile.:D:D

barrenelly, JimmyM, Bassgeer and 2 others like this.
  18. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Good for you Jimmy. Your posts here are always beacons of knowledge, experience, and levity. Your OP is no different. God-speed into the next stage of your life, and enjoy every minute!

19. Soooo...... you're trading a mundane 9 to 5 and a heavy mortgage for 90 degree outdoor gigs with mosquitos that come at you like flying drill presses , packing up at 2 am only to be chased up a tree by an alligator while trying to get from your car to your house when you finally get home. Yup , sounds reasonable to me. ;) All kidding aside , glad to hear you're getting back in the musical saddle again. Best wishes from Seahag and me.

20. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Been there and done something similar. It will be glorious in the end or at least fun. Trust me on this

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021