Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok...newbie question. How low can an EUB go?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by SOMMS, Jan 6, 2006.

1. SOMMS

SOMMS

Jan 6, 2006
    Pacific Northwest
    Hola amigos,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Very simple question: How low can a 3/4 size (42" scale) EUB go and still sound reasonably decent?

I ask because my band is seeking a bass that can go to A (below the B) and perhaps even lower (G, F, E?) and I love the idea of flailing away on a sleek NS CR5M. :^)

We are talking amplified hard rock music here and I'm not really going for a true acoustic DB sound. I know about the Quake bass from Knuckle Guitar Works...I'm just wondering what an EUB can do.

Thanks alot,

SOMMS

2. I haven't had a chance to try a 5 string EUB, but compared to a BG, the EUB's 42" scale length gives you a big advantage. The extra length allows for greater string tension, so you should be able to get those low notes with a lot less flab than on a 34/35" scale.
    If you're planning to play LOUD, stick with a solid-body EUB to minimise feedback.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  4. SOMMS

SOMMS

Jan 6, 2006
    Pacific Northwest

Uh...well that stuff is optional right? But for what its worth I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

-SOMMS

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi Somms.
    Optional, yes and no.
    You'll see that when someone asks a question, it's a must when you can check his profile to see what gear he's using, what kind of music he plays, and where he's located, etc....
    In the [BG]Classifieds, it's a requirement to be a Supporting member to be able to post.
    In the [DB]Classifieds, this requirement has been lifted, but I'm asking that non-supporting members fill out their profile.
    This is not much to pay for a free service, methinks.

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i have a few pieces where i tune my e on my ns 5 string down to an a below b...
    fairly loose, but a cool, useable sound(for pizz). let's see where i can go from here....tuning down....
    i can also get the b string all the way down to an e an octave below the e string, readable on a tuner and playable for pizz! (just tried it)...arco? let's see here....
    ...oh my god! it can be bowed as well!...
    the waveform is uber slow, the speakers are pulsing sooo slow! but there is a really cool tone there!
    muahahahahaha! rad!
    :confused: :eyebrow: :eek: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D :D :cool:
    heh....
    doug

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've got a 5 string Clevinger - on one recording I tuned it down to low A for an arco pedal - sounded awesome.

I've played the nuckle bass too, and quite honestly it might be more suited to what you're after...it's great down there & is by nature easier to play than a DB.

There's no reason that an NS wouldn't work detuned, though.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got an NSCR5 and it does actually sound lower than a B string on bass guitar although it isn't - I've played side by side with someone else playing 5-string fretless BG and a lot more of the fundamental tone comes through on the EUB and the low notes really shake the floor - much more than a BG !! :)

A nice loud sustained low D or C really makes people notice!!

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I agree totally - it's seismic. :cool:

10. SOMMS

SOMMS

Jan 6, 2006
    Pacific Northwest

Gotcha...profile updated.

11. SOMMS

SOMMS