1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OK. Now what?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by boombloom, Apr 27, 2006.

1. I bought a very beat up mid 19th century German shop bass. I had a bunch of restoration work done on it. I put Obligatos on it. I don't like them. They feel OK, but not great. They're a little thin. They produce a lot of fundamental, but not much else. I am expecting more from this bass.

By history, I play a lot of bluegrass and blues. I still have my laminated bass set up with Spiros and Golden Spirals for slap style. This old Humpty Dumpty bass is for other music. I want to bow it and pick it. I want to experiment with a brave new world of tone and sustain. I'm looking for recommendations for strings.

Thanks.

2. There are a boat load of posts on Spiros, Flex '92s, etc. If you want to bow, the Flex 92s in Stark guage have been talked about lately. Very good for both pizz and arco. Very dark tone. I've only used meds, D&G, but I like them.

gomez

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    How high do you play your strings?

4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I suggest trying Dominants. I felt the same way about Obligatos, and tried a range of other strings before settling on Dominants. Search the strings forum and you'll find a lot of good things said about them.

The regular Dominants are comparable in tension to Spiro orch/reds, so if you prefer a lower tension string you can use the Solo set tuned down to orch. pitch; they end up being close to Spiro Weich tension, without losing the characteristic Dominant sound. I've been using the solos for a while now and am very happy - in fact I'm planning to try them on an old german bass that I am auditioning for purchase.

Oh, and they bow great, more easily and with a better tone than Obligatos (and nearly anything else I've tried).

Andy

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Mostly sea level...

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    your gonna have to do some research, if it were me i would be looking at some flexocor regulars with a stark E, or permanents, or some velvet compas 180 or anima, or some helicore orchestra, maybe some superlfexibles if you want more sustain and growly tone....alot of the sustain is gonna come from your setup though.

start searching and reading about strings is the best thing to do....oh and know what you want out of your strings.

7. I don't get high anymore. Oops. You mean my action. Well, I've mostly been slapping on golden spirals, so I've had moderately high action. But I'm really looking to try other kind of musics and other playing styles.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you want more growl, then you're gonna get it if you play lower strings. That's why I was asking :)

9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Maybe you already have this in mind, but getting different G/D strings will be a cheaper way to try out several sets... rather than buying full sets.

hth.

11. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Solo Dominants tuned down to orchestral pitch on my bass are just a tiny bit stiffer than Spiro Weichs - but physically (and auraly) they are a little fatter, which I like. I'm not much with the bow, but for me they bow great, not quite as sweet as Corellis, but close, and better than anything else I've tried.

I changed from orch. gauge dominants to solo gauge to help with my thumb position studies, and was pleased that I didn't lose much, if any, of the Dominant sound or feel.

(I have kept a Spiro orch/red E on the bass though, so I can't speak for the Dominant E).

Andy