Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok to play cracked bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by SwingMetal, Mar 25, 2004.

1. SwingMetal

SwingMetal

Mar 25, 2004
    boston
    I was dismayed to discover a crack on the front of my carved top bass. It's along the grain near the tailpiece. I'm wondering if it's ok to keep on playing the bass while I search for a luither and wait for an appointment. Will playing make the crack worse?

2. Sorry I can't help you SwingMetal but I am actually jumping on this Thread for some advice too. I have the same question: there is a crack (actually two) on the top of my bass, above and below the ...(don't know what it's called but it's that curve/indent on the left and right of the bass).

Surely the vibrations have some effect on the wood? Does this encourage the crack to grow? Will glueing "discourage" or even prevent the crack from growing?

Love the look of the new forum by the way, it's even easier to use now!

3. Don't take the chance to find out...There's no way of knowing if the cracks will continue. Especially SwingMetal. If your crack would continue up to the bass bar or on the other side to the sound post your bass would be in big trouble.
    Uncle Lee the part you're talking about is the C bout.
    Our luthiers, i'm sure, would agree that the sooner you both get these repairs done the better!
    Your luthier may or may not have to take off tops.
    Do it soon and good luck. Let us know how things go.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    The only safe course of action is to take the string tension down, take off the bridge and knock the soundpost over. By keeping the bass under tension you are increasing the probability the cracks will spread. BTW, wrap the tailpiece in a rag or something soft so you don't scratch up the top.

5. Amen

6. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    go rent a bass somewhere if you have to play something, the $50 will save you plenty of headache, and go get some insurance if you don't have any, that will save you some nightmares

7. SwingMetal

SwingMetal

Mar 25, 2004
    boston
    What's the deal with bass insurance? I didn't know I could insure my bass. How much does such insurance cost? It covers any repairs or accidents or disasters?

8. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, It's awesome, it depends on how much your gear is worth, then they might have a minimum, usually $100-$200 per year. The ISB has a deal with a company called Merz Huber 610-5442323
    and there is another clarion 1-800 -vivaldi. I have filed claims with both, after different accidents and they have been very easy to deal with I highly recommend it, one badaccident can put you out of business. It's tax deductible too

I have my electric and amps on it too, in case they get ripped off.

9. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Keep in mind, though, that most insurance carriers won't cover weather-related damage, i.e., cracks. That's why the best insurance you can buy only costs about 50 bucks. It's called a HUMIDIFIER! I know, I'm a brokenrecordbrokenrecordbrokenrecordbrokenrecordbrokenreco

10. Good advice. Does anyone have any idea about insurance companies that also do overseas insurance deals (I guess kinda like travel insurance?) I live in China and this is where I bought my bass too, but I guess that Chinese insurance companies may not like to insure a bass ... just a vague feeling, could be wrong but it would surprise me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice!