Ok which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazamamaster, Dec 21, 2005.

1. kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I've been debating so hard lately. I'm currently playing an older Carvin LB76, (6string for those who don't know). I'm about to purchase my first real exotic bass, and I've been playing for 16 years. Outside of my bass, I have only found two other makers who make a 6 string other than Fodera that appeal to me. Those two being Smith and F-bass. So guys, which one is it? I play tons of jazz and contemporary gospel, and love that Smith sound, and also the F bass feel.....Most of you here are F players, so where can I get the most bang for the buck?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Out of the 2, I'd get the Smitty. PERFECT for what you do. Overall, no matter what you decide, it's a win/win situation. Good luck.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd say that of the two, Smiths definitely have the name recognition within your genre. I love their sound. Having said that (and I don't play gospel nor anything close to it, for whatever that's worth), the few F Basses I've touched have blown me away in feel and tone, so if I were ever in a position to choose, it would be the F Bass all the way, just because I've never been so impressed with every aspect of a single instrument.
  4. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    My only experience with an Fbass is playing the BNF-5 Fretless at bass central and it's a spectacular instrument. But I've been a Smith ower for 20 years. In that time my Smiths have always sounded great. Rock, Country, jazz, Worship, Studio always great. I would think that the Fbass would also stand the test of time, but saying that I KNOW the Smith would.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    if I was in a postion to get a Ken Smith, I'd go for it in a shot! Okay, so now you know my choice!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd go for the Smith as well. If there's one thing they do perfectly, it's your kind of music.
  7. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I am also a jazz and heavy gospel player, I see Smith's just about everywhere I go in the gospel setting. I like the Smith alot the tone and feel, but I opted for the F Bass because it felt like a glove to me and secondly no one seemed to have an F Bass, and somewhere along the way someone had to introduced the Smith to the gospel genre which caused it to be so popular maybe even a standard, perhaps the F Bass will also have the same effect. Although I have not had mine long it's getting alot of attention and inquiries among the gospel playing brothern. I seriously considered the Smith but I have no regrets in purchasing the F Bass. For what its worth I plan on owning a Smith one day.
  8. kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Anyone have the links to a Smith and F-bass thread?
  9. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    At this level of craftmanship, attention to detail and (gulp!) expense; you can't go wrong with either intrument. I think you should find a highend bass shop and try a few out if you can. For me, I lean more towards the F-bass only because its so hard to find. Smith has been around long enough that its a bit more recognizable. I like having the sort of axe where one looks at it and say, "wow, what the heck is that!" Yeah, a bit silly but that's just me.

10. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    +1 There is nothing wrong with being noticable (in a good way) since it's easier to get work if people know you're there. Since either bass will do the job, there's nothing wrong with considering the one that will get a little more attention for you. "Hey, what's that guy playing... and check out his playing!"