Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, I give up... What do these knobs do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillys, Mar 15, 2006.

1. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Hello and good day to all of you! I guess it's time for me to break my 'lurk' status and post cause these knobs on my bass are driving me nuts.

For the record, I own an Ibanez GSR205 bass and at the moment, it really does suit my needs. I need to know how to 'play' around with the knobs on my bass and after doing a bit of research around here and on the net, I have come to a conclusion that these four knbos each represents: bass boost(is it some sort of marketing gimmick?), treble, bridge pickup volume and neck pickup volume. Am I even close or what?

Of course my bass isnt as sophiscated as many of yours but I'm sure all of you are a lot more knowledgeable on these things. Oh, for the record, my bass didnt come with a manual and this is my 2nd bass ever after playing for about 4 years.

I know.. I know... It probably doesnt exist unless it has pics and here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you may have guessed right, I like my bass a little bit too much. :ninja:

2. Found on the Ibanez site:

[​IMG]

3. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to TB! Lurk no more!

4. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Cheers!

I guess I must be really daft to have missed that :(

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, you're close. I think the treble knob is the passive tone knob, and the bass boost (phat) knob is an active bass boost, which means you have a battery in the bass to power it. I tried the GSR200 and was impressed; if my boy ever decides to play bass, that's definitaly what I'll get him.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The GSR 200 series is a very good bass for the money. You were close regarding the controls. The boost is a bass boost when turned clockwise. To my ears it seems to also scoop out a bit in the midrange when cranked. The tone control is a passive treble cut when turned counter clockwise.

I've played around a lot with the GSR200 4 string in stores. The weakest link is the factory strings. That'd be the first thing I'd change, and of course, do a proper set up on it. Most of the ones I've seen on display suffered from poorly adjusted truss rods. But, that's true for even the higher priced basses. You can get those GSRs to play and sound very good with a small amount of work and money. I wouldn't bother with a pickup swap unless I planned to keep the bass a long time. I think strings and a setup will make the biggest difference.

7. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    You are so darn right! The factory strings really stinks and I need some suggestions on what kind of strings can I put on my bass.

When I first got this bass, I asked the guy at the shop to help me do a bit of a setup(stuff like intonation and lowering the action a bit) with the factory strings. The action's great but the strings are appalling.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Seems like Ibanez redesigned their site but even with the new layout I cant find the string gauge for my bass.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The gauge is likely standard 45, 65, 85, 105, 125.

I have a Soundgear SR300DX which is kinda like your GSR (agathis body and all) and I use SIT PowerSteel strings gauged 45-100 (I prefer the slightly thinner E and A strings for nimble riffing) and that combo sounds great. The stainless steel adds some sparkle, edge, and bite to the agathis body's insane low end booty.

SIT's 5-string set is 45-100, with a 125 B.

I've tried lots of strings, but SITs are always consistent, sound great, have good life, and are reasonably priced.

9. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i use fender super 8250's gauged 45 65 85 110. a 5 string set is available with both e and b strings taperwound. in 30 years of playing, these are the best strings i have ever used. they have a smooth and consistant sound and last a long time. imo. peace, jeff

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm a big fan of Thomastic strings. I use flats mainly but they also make rounds.

11. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    What are tapewound strings? So far I have only heard of flatwounds as well as roundwound strings. I am very interested in some flats and waht are some pretty common/good ones?

12. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    taperwound. the part of the string that passes over the bridge saddle (the witness point) is actually the core of the string. for about an inch past this point going towards the nut, the string tapers to it's specified gauge. i don't know if it sounds better than a standard string, but it allows lower action for whatever string is taperwound. it also may be easier to intonate properly or it may sustain better. i'm not sure and i don't know that much about string construction. they are roundwound strings and to me they sound great. peace, jeff

13. Thank god you posted all those pics. I had no idea what you were talking about until pics 2 through 94.v

:p

14. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Get some GHS Bass Boomers. Best 20 bucks I ever spent.

15. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    I went string-scouring around town today and I found the ONE AND ONLY set of strings for sale around here. They are D'Addario XL or something. With coloured tips and they would be mind for just $25 and the gauges are .45 - .100 and .130

From what I've read here, my GSR205's 5th string gauge is .125. So, would I be throwing away my money if I buy those D'addarios?

Edit: Oh, the strings are nickel roundwounds.

16. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    These are the strings that I have found in the shop: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Accessories?sku=100114

I think I should just spend the money on these strings? Ordering strings online is not a practical idea because the cost of shipping to my place all the way in Malaysia, South East Asia would be very very high and not worth the money. Think a .130 string would fit in my GSR205?

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    A .130 should be fine.

18. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I got a new GSR 205 about 2 weeks ago. Its really good, like you said the strings aren't that great and i have found that the B string is a bit loose for my liking. Would the .130 one made it tighter?

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You don't have to stick to the same gauge string as were provided by the factory. The XLs are good strings at a decent price.

20. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thanks, guys! You people are awesome and have been a great help. I will definitely post a mini-review of the strings once I got them. I think I will probably string the bass myself.