1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old emc cab and head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Vintage EMC b800 Head and 15" Cab 300W (Electronic Music Corporation) Cleveland Ohio Company

Anyone here know or remember anything about these cant find much searching! Found it in my local cl for 100 bucks guy says it works great just a big heavy dinosour!

I think it might be worth it! What do you think?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I used to play through a guy's EMC combo amp when I was first starting out playing bass, in '71. IIRC they were made in North Royalton, a community a bit SW of Cleveland, itself. They were pretty popular around here since they were a local company, much as Dr. Z is these days for gui****s, here.

3. How was there quality?ANd anyone else have some info?

4. Bump before i go look at it!

5. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Quality was average but I don't recall my friend's amp ever failing. I can't comment on sound quality as I was playing bass through a guitar combo.

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Our whole band used EMCs way back when. They were tall rigs and all matched cosmetically, which was the thing back then. My cab had 2x15s, the keyboard had 2x12s, and the guitar 3x10s (I think). Everyone really like their sound and we kept them longer than any other rigs we owned.

I even traded in my Sunn 200S with 2x15 JBLs for the EMC .... not sure I would do that again :)

7. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I have an old EMC 800 in storage right now. Very Acoustic-esque. I think the output stages (there are two) are mounted on PC-type boards, that plug into the main board. I'm no amp guts expert, but I found that very interesting for such an old amp. I suppose lightning hit it and it went from having a loud hum, to not working at all. I have an old TOA PA amp I have thought about incorporating into the chassis with the EMC's preamp, just for giggles.

8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    :eek: OOPS! :eek:

9. Well he has not called me today i was really going to get this if it worked! Only a hundred bucks! Someone must have got to it before me!

10. If that was in Covdale, I probably bought the very same amp just this week. Traded my Acoustic 260 for it. It needed new filter caps but that is a 10 dollar fix. Other than that it is the weirdest damn amp I've ever seen the inside of.

11. Album posted to amp guts thread

12. Bassmusic59

Bassmusic59

Feb 7, 2014
    Hi lpcarter, I don't know if you still have an EMC amp or not, but I seen your question and wanted to tell you what I know about them. My best friend way back in the day, bought a G400 EMC Guitar head and folded horn cabinet, loaded with 3-12" Eminence speakers, around 1972 or so. At that time, I was just a stand up singer, who played trumpet and French Horn in school, but just sang in the band. Well I started learning rhythm guitar when I went to college, and I bought the Guitar rig off my buddy for a whopping $400 bucks!! It was a monster to lug around, BUT that thing wailed! It had very poor "distortion" but it was a great amp and head. Well in the mid 80's, our Bass player quit, and I moved to Bass, and used the EMC "guitar" rig for several yrs with my Bass. I sold the Head to another Bass player around '89 or so, but I still have 2 of the Eminence speakers left, and yes they still work fine. I also have the floor pedal for the Old EMC head, I couldnt find it when the guy bought the head, but it turned up in a box of old cables etc a few years ago. The deal with EMC or "Electronic Music Corporation" was that their amps were guaranteed to work for "as long as you owned it" when I bought it from my friend, he said "ya if anything goes wrong, I'll just take it in for you" well, they went out of business in I think 1974...lol.:crying: Anyway, for all I know that old head is still rockin out somewhere, and it was a Guitar head not a Bass head. (some people thought playing Bass thru a guitar head would surely blow it up back then).. I do know of one other guy that had the EMC Bass Amp, and it started with a B, something like B800 where the guitar amp was G400. I also still have some of their brochures etc somewhere, and it showed their PA's and alot of their gear, I do think that folded horn Cab, although Heavy, was a Great idea. Glad to see some of them are still around, and hope I've helped. Keep on Rockin! Jack