1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Guy Guitarist Tasting the Low End

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Fudbutter, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Fudbutter

Fudbutter

Dec 21, 2018
    Hi

Hope this isn't too much

Long time guitarist here who after all these years finds himself thrust into the role of bass player in a large party jam group and smaller low end wedding band

I am addicted to gear (about 30 guitars, a whole wall of pedals and multi effects, bunch of amps, bunch of synths, studio gear etc etc) and am a sucker for deals and discounts. About 20 years ago, Ash had a MIM purple Jazz bass for a really low price (~$125). Figured it was a closeout of some sort (color?) and back then I never left a store without buying something so it came home with me. I fooled around on it for a few days (those strings are THICK and waaaayyyy far apart). Sat in the studio for a couple of decades as I used the synths for bass on the tapes/CD's I would make for fun.

When we recently found out that our beloved bassist couldn't make it for awhile, they asked me to fill in. Figured it would be a futile attempt but heck, as a New York Mets and Jets fan, I am well versed in futility.

So I take the bass out and have the neck straightened and give it a try and found that this darned thing is a blast to play. Picked up a GT-1B but I'm leaving that in the home studio. Also fun to play. I found an old ME-8B in the basement later. Must have been another close out awhile ago.

I play EG with a looper at a local open mic so now I am considering just bringing the bass for solo looper/improv thing one night (saw Percy Jones do that for Brand X and it blew me away). All those acoustic guys look at me weird anyway so why not?

Obviously a totally different discipline than guitar (improv in a jazz rock setting is my passion) and it takes a lot of concentration to hold down a steady bottom but what fun. I know that I will never be a Clarke, Wooten or Squire, or even a Tim Bogert (earliest bass hero from my generation's youth) but I am getting there, kinda.

I found this board and peruse it daily now so I thought I would sign in. Excellent site.

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the low end.

3. Welcome, look forward to your comments.