Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Kay Question....

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mmukav, Feb 19, 2005.

1. So I picked up my 'new' 1950 Kay C-1 and brought it home. When I was checking it out closely I found 2 small (1-inch) cracks on the top corresponding to where the soundpost meets the top. Kind of wierd 'cause they're diagonal, not running with the grain of the top. I looked inside with a dental mirror and light and could see no corresponding crack on the inside, so I figure it must be the top ply only. I bought it at a violin shop and the owner told me not to worry about it.

So--should I not worry? It sounds great, and there are no buzzes or rattles. Think it'll get bigger? (probly no way to know that-huh?). Just wanted some other thoughts.......

2. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I would want to make sure that the cracks were secure, glued or what-ever. As long as they CAN'T get any bigger, I wouldn't worry. It might be a good idea to to get a second opinion, and in any case, it sounds like minimal repair project, so why not go ahead and do it?

I love those old Kay basses!