1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Kustom Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmcdan3, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    I have an old Kustom TRB400 head(400W tube/solid state) with a Kustom 4x10 cabinet. It is in good condition and has the black padding all around it. Does anyone know anything about these? I was thinking about selling it for a GK Backline 600 combo. I cant find any info on google about them. I have had it for a while and it seems to do the job for me. Great tone and looks. Should I hold on to it or trade it for? What could I get for it??

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    why would you trade a classic amp set up for a crappy combo ? dont go with the backline !!! if you need a combo for your playing situation , go with somethinig better .....

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with the Backline myself. I tried them out and ultimately decided to go with GK 700RB but I think the Backline is an excellent buy. My $.02.

As for the Kustom, I stumbled across a 1x15 Charger back in January that I picked up at the local shop for $90. Its about 75-100 watts but weighs a ton. Good tone if you like old-school but with the weight and watts being what they are, I don't think it'll see much action.

Anyhoo, here's a link to the Kustom website/forum. Someone there might be able to help you.

http://www.vintagekustom.com/frame.html

4. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    yea there are a number of sweet amps on that site but nothing about the TRB400. I saw a while back that someone had that combo going for $1000 but I'm not sure that they are worth that. I only ask because if this is the case, I would trade it in for an ampeg combo (goes for $869). But then again, I could possibly be playing a collectors item?

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Post your question. I've found the folks there pretty helpful bunch.

6. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    should i hang on to it?

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Do you use it?

8. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    i do use it. i have gigged with it as well. i just want to see what it is worth. im very interested in the ampeg rig but i need more opinions.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Well if I were you I'd do a search at the Kustom forum to try and find out what your amp is worth. I'd go to a music store and with it and test it right next to the Ampeg combo you're interested. Then decide.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1 here. The old Kustoms were giant wood, steel, and nagahyde (spelling?) boxes and looked as cool as they sounded. I'm thinking about covering my Aguilars in the "tuck and roll".

Careful with the value questions, someone might mistake that for a "veiled" for sale post. Not sure what the value on one of those would be now myself though. How old is it? I don't know exact years but I know they made 'em up until earlier this decade.

11. I say keep the old school Kustom. Probably is a collectors item. Someone was trying one out in a pawn shop I walked into a few yrs ago. I remember the amp being very loud. The amp appeared to be in great shape. I dont remember what they were asking for it.

12. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yep keep it !!!! and gk made a entry level amp for a reason . its not because its made for professional full/part time musicians . i think the backline is fine for bedroom players . i had a multi band show a month ago and the bassist HAD to drag in his 115/210 backline 600 stack and of course the soundman and the 4 other bassist thought it was crap especially compared to my ampeg 810 (1970 w new speakers) and my early 80's gk 800rb ....... after the show he said he wished hed left his in the trailer ........

13. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    yea it definetly is pretty loud being that its 400w. it also has a built-in chorus effect that sounds nice. i guess i should hold on to it but it would be my primary gigging cab. its pretty old but seems to be reliable. i have only heard bad stuff so far about the GK. the Kustom is better i suppose? ill work on posting a picture of it for everyone to see.

14. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    i also would like to know if anyone has covered they're amps in the padding. i was thinking about changing it to red, blue, or gold instead of black. how hard is this?

15. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    bump:)

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I really think you'll get more answers on the Vintage Kustom website.

17. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    :help:

18. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
  19. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    yea that describes my amp exactly with the jensen 10's. the thing really does bump with that 8amp fuse! i wonder what it would be worth but i dont think i would consider getting rid of it anytime soon. most people tell me the backline 600 is total crap anyway.

20. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    I'm seriously thinking that your TRB400 may be a Chinese Kustom rip-off amp. Here is a few things I've found.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-97140.html

http://www.offthewallsound.nl/shop/...id/70?osCsid=81e1335e78d52c71b928d75954912e89

Note how the Kustom logo on the TRB400 is as it was used in the 60's and early 70's, but if you look at any Kustom catalog from these years, this amp was clearly not included. Also, Kustom didn't make tube or hybrid amps. They were solid state only.

All in all, it may still be a good amp, but I don't think it's very collectible if it wasn't made while Bud Ross was running the company.

Lastly check this out.
    http://www.broadwaymusicco.com/kustom13.htm

John