1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Pianos Being Trashed - This is sad.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iJazz, Jul 30, 2012.

1. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    The New York Times had an article yesterday regarding the increasingly common occurrence of vintage pianos finding their way to the landfill. In addition to the dynamics of the marketplace making it more economical to purchase new pianos from China rather than repair old ones, the attraction of the digital keyboard as a substitute, along with the increasing loss of funding and interest in music education, these possibly great old instruments are no longer of interest to the people or organizations who own them.

Here's a YouTube selection showing the pianos getting dumped which is a promotional video for pianoadoption.com. Maybe somebody here will find this of use, one way or another.

I find it very sad, at the very least, to see all of that old timber just getting dumped. I can't help but think there must be some way to re-purpose it for good use. Perhaps I'm wrong.

iJazz - Sentimental about good old instruments. Imagine the audiences who've heard them and the performances they've been part of.

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Doesn't the Guiness Book of World Records have a category for "Fastest Time For A Three-Person Karate Team To Smash A Piano Into Parts Small Enough To Be Passed Through A Ten-Inch Circle"?

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Tragic! Soon it'll be nearly impossible to find something decent to launch with a trebuchet!

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    The major problem is the size and weight of a piano, whether it is a spinet, upright, baby grand or grand. Just to get it transported is costly.
    It would be good to extract the harp (metal frame) and "reuse/recycle" it in a new piano.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Not so long as 'mericans continue eating so much beef.