1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old School 6? Possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzercountry, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Hey folks

I'm about to start doing a LOT more reading than I usually do (US Army Band - oh yeah!!) and I was thinking that adding a 6th string might save me a WHOLE lot of shifting. The thing is, I'm most definitely NOT a big zingy treble guy. I'm very much into Laklands, and even their more modern bass (the 55-02/94) is still pretty old school, and it's exactly the tone I want out of a 6. Is this even possible? :help:

I have a feeling that MTD is pretty much out, as I'm familiar with their sound. I've owned a Pedulla Rapture J2 before and I liked it a lot, but I definitely would like to stay with a bolt on instead of neck through, so it'd have to be a Thunderbolt 6 on that end. Not terribly sure about the fundamentals on that one though. On that note, a passive Dingwall Afterburner has me pretty GAS'ed - seems like it should be solid up and down the range, but again - no way to play one down here, and I have no idea what they sound like. There's also Roscoe - again, don't know what they sound like - I see a lot of R&B cats using them. Other than that, I'm not terribly sure what my options are. Again, I'm the kind of guy that has flats on over half of my basses - and I don't really like rounds until they're a week or two old, so that's the sort of sound I'm shooting for.

BTW, I'm shipping out on Monday, so any help is appreciated ASAP...heh. :)

2. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Your mileage may vary, but the passive mode on my early '90's MIG Warwick Streamer 6 string is very organic sounding. It's one of the reasons I've held onto that bass over the years.

3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    If you heading thro' Europe get one of these bad boys!:D

A Clover Apeiron Classic 6.

Gold should fit nicely with the Army Colors!

clover_apeiron6clas_gs01.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Roscoe with the stock Bartolini pre and pickups should fit the bill. It's fat, warm, and relatively mellow... more mid punch like the Lakland 94 series than grindy are bright like the MTD's or the Atelier's.

The stock Roscoe's, to my ear, can be described as a kind of 'P Bass on Steroids' tone. I you like the 55-02, while the Roscoe is a little 'bigger' sounding all the way around, it's in the same tone universe. Also, if you stay away from fancy wood tops, etc., the base model Roscoe's are quite affordable.

IMO.

5. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
  6. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I thought these might be right sound-wise, but all the ones I'm seeing are pushing upper 3 into 4 grand

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I haven't priced them in a while. That is a lot of money. I was thinking you could get a nice 6 for right around $3K (which of course, is still a lot of money).

8. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    after a bit more digging i was able to find out that there are only two of the Ken Smith Design 60's 6 string jazz in the NATION. both are at BassCentral.com and both are under a grand. check em out

9. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    They are making the Musicman Bongo six-string but I don't know if they are available yet. If you call them and tell them you are shipping out Monday, maybe they will give you some love. :)

Scott

10. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  11. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    personally... i think proper EQing would do enough...

or find a wish... thats the most organic of anything.

oh... one more thing

Go Navy, Beat Army!

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ide just get a regular ken smith bass.

13. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    i would rather get a KS 6er myself but the KSD is deffiantly more in my range. That, and it is a pretty limited edition right now. 2 in the US

14. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Maybe check out The LowEnd JAzz Basses?

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Atelier Z and New York Bassworks make "vintage sixes." The Atelier has an active preamp, but it's defeatable. NYBW does a jazz style passive six.

You can check them out here:

http://www.thegrooveshoppe.com/Main.htm

16. Brian Reihms

Brian Reihms Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    +1 NYBW. Vintage, modern and some in a 6 string.

17. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Good luck with the Army Band.

I have two Raptures (a 4 and 5); I just sold a ThunderBolt 6. Mine was a '95 with a volume-blend-passive tone-Thunderguts switch setup (the newer ones replace the passive tone w/bass & treble controls). Nice meaty sounding bass but not what I would consider old-school--the Bart soapbars are internally active (like EMGS) so they've always got a bit of an edge.

I would highly recommend using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat or Round strings for a more old-school high C.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Old School 6?

I think it's possible

james_at_cool_beans-01.

19. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    +2 New York Bass Works :bassist: