1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Style Wooden endpins

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Alain Martin, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    Hi everyone! I see a lot of talking about wooden endpins lately and I'm getting more and more interested but most of the ones that I see are set for a modern setup and I was wondering if anybody had some information about the old style of wooden endpins like the ones back in the days of Bottesini and even Mingus. Cheers and thank you very much in advance!

2. I had a bass that was fitted with one of those. It was just a short wooden peg jammed into a wooden collar. If your current pin is 1/2” you could try a drumstick.

3. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Here's an example of an early high-line wood endpin set by Kay. The removable tapered pin is set into the collar by friction.

wooden.

Alain Martin likes this.
  4. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    Thanks Steven! That's something like what I'm looking for!

5. Steven Ayres

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I should mention this is from the late '30s, as a basis for comparison. I was thinking you were mainly asking about much older examples. I'd like to see those too.

6. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    Any information on the ones predating the adjustable metal ones.

7. Steven Ayres

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I can add that while I don't have enough examples to be sure, I have indications that the wooden sets came with two pins from the factory, short (3") and long (6"), for seated and standing play.

8. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 23, 2007
    Merriam Kansas (Kansas City)
    owner RC Williams Co. LLC
    what size taper do you need? I still have a few I made a few years back

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Alain Martin likes this.
  9. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    That’s looks beautiful! I’m still trying to decide but it should be about half of that. What kind of wood is that?

10. RCWilliams

Apr 23, 2007
    The wood is maple, the furl is aluminum. generally I just made the pins in 3 lengths and you cut it to length. If you wanted a steel tip, that would be possible, but in that case if you also needed a rubber tip it would be easiest to have one pin for each type. I also made what i called the peg leg end pin which used a carbon fiber rod into a maple end pin , it gave the changes that a wooden pin gives the bass, but does not require a new end button.

Attached Files:

Alain Martin likes this.
  11. Steven Ayres

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Is that your tapering tool on the left? Nice.

12. RCWilliams

Apr 23, 2007
    Yes, made it with the same reamer I use for the sockets, it insures a good fit.

13. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    I Like it! Would you mind telling me the prices and mesures particularly the peg mesures so I can see if it would fit my bass? Thank you very much!

14. RCWilliams

Apr 23, 2007
    Alain,
    the one in the picture is 31.5mm diameter I have unfinished blanks at 35.4, 34, and27.8mm

Alain Martin likes this.
  15. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    Thank you very much RC! Sorry for the delay. I’ll ask my luthier here to kindly check “my mesures”. How much would it cost me to send one of those over here? Greetings from Spain!