Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

older solid state amps that distort.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm looking for some new sounds and dig my older solid state amps that distort.

any recommendations and reviews?

how's that sunn coliseum 880?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Peavey Mark series. Billy Gould always got great ditry tones from them.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Sunn Concert Bass amps had a distortion circuit onboard.

I owned an Acoustic 450 head and the distortion circuit sounded great. The amp was a little bit wooly by itself anyway (in a good way)...

Is a G-K 800RB considered old? Don't they grind with the boost turned up?

A good friend of mine has an old Woodson bass head that he bought brand new in the mid '70s. It has a great grinding tone when you turn it up to the point where the pilot light starts dimming while you play... Maybe old tuck and roll Kustoms do the same thing...

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'd stick with newer amps and look into adding on distortion effects, modeling, etc.

Unless you're a collector. Any old amp is going to be a hobby if something should go wrong with it.

5. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    Yamaha b-100 bass head has built-in distortion. That head is from the 70's. Going to buy one for $100.

I have a Acoustic 450 head that has built-in distortion, that head is from the 70's as well. The distortion is very nice, it's touch sensitive so the more you dig in the more distortion you get.

I have a big muff, dod 250 od, and a modded ibanez tubescreamer, and I still think the distortion in the 450 head is very good.

I like older equipment, I tend not to like new amp sounds or LOOKS. I'm in my 20's so it isn't a case of being afraid of technology.
    Get what you Like, and not what people and ads tell you.

6. +1

..and the older GK 800RB, they have a simillar distorted, agressive tone..

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I play through a Road 440, turn it past 7 and it gets this cool kind of Lightning Bolt-esque low-end fuzz-hum and shrill high-end. Especially through a modern sounding speaker like an Avatar or SWR.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Old Gallien-Kruegers or a Peavey Mark series head.