Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

olp basses rok!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robe, Aug 7, 2004.

1. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane

2. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    oops....kinda screwed up the first post by accident......

Any ways....i bought an olp mm2 bass today for 399$ australian...which is about 50$ cheaper than any other bottom end well known brand off bass(ibanez, yammy etc.). This bass is basicly the exact same feel, amazing sound..a bit mono tonal(but hey, still sounds mad) and looks amazing with its rosewood fretboard, meatlic blue body and white pearloid pickguard..drewl..

for about a tenth of the price of a real musicman, this bass kiks ass!!!

why the do ppl bag these basses so much...jeez..snobs(no ofence intended)

if anyone else agrees or has n e comments, plz post !

Thnx :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My only comment is that spelling is good. ;)

4. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    lol...thanx

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Spelling is quite good indeed. I've played a few OLP's and didn't like them. Not to be snobbish, but I'm more of a higher end guy. If I wanted the stingray sound I'd go buy a stingray.

6. I say if its good, and you like it, more power to you! Good score man.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    There going to end up just like squiers. First they sound, feel great and are great copies. Then they are going to move countries and they will become crap. Then they will become something totaly different from what the original was.

8. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Bingo. I wouldn't feel bad about OLPs getting ragged on here so much. After all, Carvin gets ragged on big time here and those are higher-end basses. I'm sure every bass known to man has been ragged on at some point or another by someone.

It's all a matter of feel, opinion, etc. I know Rickenbackers are excellent basses, but the ones I've played just didn't do it for me. The feel wasn't there. The previous owner of my Samick Fairlane-6 probably didn't think the bass was right or good enough for his/her needs but when I picked it up at the music store it was perfect for me (I certainly preferred it over some of the more expensive basses I tried in the store that cost 2-3 times more). So one person's trash is another person's treasure.

The important thing is that you have that 'lust' feeling for your bass. If you have an instrument you really want, you'll be more motivated to pick it up and play it than an instrument you only sort of like.

9. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    thanx for the input, the fact that im 14 years old and i have only been playin for around 6 months means that i havent been able to play all of those high end basses. But this bass certainly ranks well. i did a comparison instore before i bought it and it was bloody close! the only thing that could be improved on this bass is the size of the machine heads, they should be much smaller

(was my spelling ok guys?)...lol

10. I habe the OLP MM-3 ( 5 String) and I love it. Its versatile (not monotonous(SP) like many say) I would recommend it.

11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I have a MM2 with Duncan electronics and it would take any bass to town in the price range

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Some are great basses, most arent. OLP's are very hit or miss, and they usually take a small bit of fretwork and proper setups to be great basses. I intend to get one as a beater bass (ya know, for setting on fire and stuff)

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    That sounds like my "Relic'd" squire. The fire was lacking one night so we cut part of the body off and used it as fire wood. Bass still plays as good as it ever did.

Looks like this...

14. man howd you get it so cheap, they're like $650 and $700 down here

15. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    The retail price has changed recently up in brisbane from like 700 down to 499 and now atround 450..so yeh. go and ask them to chek the latest retail price mite be luky!

16. yeah, like I did. I bought a second hand OLP, but decided to go for the real thing
    :D couldn't have done a better thing