1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gazwolf321, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Gazwolf321

Gazwolf321

Jan 8, 2013
    I found an ad for a 5 string OLP EB stingray bass for a really good price, but I'm not sure whether its actually that good. I've never played one of these but I know the reputation for EB is class. I was wondering could anyone give me any insight into whether its worthwhile??

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Never was a fan of the OLPs , they did not compare to the real thing despite the slight resemblance .

3. What's a really good price? I use an OLP 5-string as my main bass - but I got it for free and the only money I have in it is upgrading pickups and a new paint job.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Have you looked at the SUB 5's?

5. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    Gotta disagree on that - I had a Tony Levin Barbie Flesh Edition 5 string
    and it was quite nice! I did some repair work on a genuine 5 string Ernie Ball
    stingray and so had both in my studio to play through my 1969 SVT.
    The OLP accounted well for itself - playability and tone. Thing with ANY of
    the OLPs is you need "pick of the litter"! Quality varies quite a bit from one to another
    and mine was a PRIMO example of an OLP to be sure. I modded the wiring to get
    series/parallel out of the pickup and had the frets dressed etc.
    Was the EB nicer? yes..But not 5 times the price nicer. The big setback in the OLPs
    is the single position wiring (series only) with series parallel they open up a lot.
    And the slightly narrower spacing towards the bridge may or may not annoy you.
    Since i have small hands it didn't bother me at all.

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have a San Luis Obispo Stingray , and I have yet to play an OLP that comes remotely close . I have played SUBs and Sterlings that do though ... but not an OLP .

7. I just picked up an OLP stingray copy last weekend. So far I think it's great. It was in awful condition when I got it. Almost unplayable. After changing the strings, giving it a set up, filing frets and changing the electronics to an active 3 EQ it's actually a great playing and great sounding bass that I'm looking forward to sharing some stage time with next weekend.

I gave mine a custom paint job (see my OLP "Road Worn" Stringray thread) but really the best thing for this bass was the BassMods preamp and a solid set up.