Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM-2 Tone Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Jan 9, 2005.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I recently picked up one of these basses because I was in need of an inexpensive fretted 4-string bass to add to my arsenal. After reading some reviews and past threads, I thought this one would be a good bass to go with. I already have 2 4-string MIM Fender Jazzes (fretless) and knew pretty much what to expect with regard to the passive electronics in terms of general sound, but to me this thing is REALLY midrange-heavy, especially for a Stingray-like bass. Granted, this is the first electric I've owned that has NOT been a Jazz Bass, so my ears are used to that sort of sound. I play thru an SWR Workingman's 12 and sometimes a Fender BXR 100, and typically use a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp (the OLD belt-style unit) for my passive basses. I'm just wondering what the consensus is about the tone of this bass, from those out there who own one as well?

2. hmmm...I don't know...I played the OLP and the genuine Article in quick succession the other day and I didn't think the tone in the OLP was too midrangey. I was able to get plenty of that stingray "bite". I thought, if anything, it lacked a little clarity on the lows compared to the stingray but all in all, i thought it was pretty good. Especially for the price.

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    hmm... maybe it's the "bite" that i'm not used to, coming from jazz basses. i love the sound of the OLP, it's just vastly different from what i'm used to. thanks for the insight!