1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP pickup replacement.. suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by qtowens, Sep 14, 2008.

1. qtowens

qtowens

May 30, 2008
    Ferndale, MI
    Hi all,

I have an OLP MM2 that I modified by putting in an EMG BTC to replace the weak "tone" control. This is a good thing...

I also have a mid 80's EBMM StingRay which has the BEST tone I've ever come across. This is also a good thing...

Now, I would like to TRY to make the OLP come close to the tone in the MM by replacing the pickup. Soes anyone know what kind of pickup was used in my mid 80's MM and what should I put into the OLP to try to achieve a similar tone?

Thanks in advance,

Ron 'QT' Owens

2. If it is an early Ernie Ball I think they used alnico V magnets in the pickups. I know Seymour Dunkin makes MM replacements with Alnico V, and so does Carvin if you want to order them online.

3. qtowens

qtowens

May 30, 2008
    Ferndale, MI
    My EBMM has a two band EQ and a nice metal plate for the battery cover. I dont see many like this so it may be an earlier model...

Thanks for the info!