Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Sep 1, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what type of wood is used in the OLP MM3 (5 string)? I played a natural finish with what appeared to be a real flame maple top (not just photoflame, although I could be wrong).

the 2 volume controls (very strange setup) each control 1 coil of the pickup, right?

How hard would it be to cut the pickguard (love the 3 ply tort stock pickguard) to fit in a "sterling" 3 way lever switch to wire the pickup series/parallel/single coil (like a Sterling)? Would I have to route out the body? (not too much of a worry on a $279 bass).

I know the quality of an OLP can be hit and miss, but this one seemed really nice. Worth buying and dropping in some mods (pickup, maybe even a preamp). All included, still cheaper than a SUB (and better looking in my opinion).

2. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO

I have one of these that I bought for that very purpose....

the 2 volume control thing is a little silly IMO.... I opted for a 3 way on-on-on toggle to do the switching trick and a single volume. Also added a piezo buzzer under the bridge and used the now extra volume knob for that (search for the piezo buzzer thread in the pickups forum, good stuff there) and a Bartolini TBT preamp.... yes, you're going to have to do some routing... the results are not bad, but it still ain't the real deal :(

SM

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    My suggestion- don't get the OLP. Honestly with all you're going to be dropping into it. You can look into a used stingray. That is if you're replacing everything nicely. And it still won't play as nice a MM stingray. I can see if you're on a budget why the OLP would be nice. But if you're looking into making it "highend" just get a regular ray. In my expirience, cheaper priced instruments are great for a bit, then you get fretting problems, and those are never fun. (Atleast this has happened to all my mim fenders).

4. The solid color OLP's are basswood, and the natural finish models are elm as far as I know. The flame top sure looked real to me, but if anyone as data otherwise, share away.

I would agree with others and say that modding an OLP would not get you the 'Ray sound on the cheap. However, if you're like me and don't much care for the 'Ray sound in the first place, it might be cool to create a whole different animal. I've been thinking of similar mods (sans the preamp) to one of those basses.

It's hard for me to stray from Jazz's these days though :D

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm not a big fan of the ray tone. I like the Sterling tone alot better (3 way switch...). I considered adding a jazz or P neck pickup to the bass also. These are all modifications I wouldn't want to make to a real Ray, but I wouldn't mind making to the OLP (even if it meant routing the bass...).