1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP vs New Sterling Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ampig, Apr 2, 2009.

1. What's the fdifference?

2. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Sterlings are marketed by EB. The OLP's are not. EB licensed the design for them.

3. Any comments on their quality vs a "real" MM bass? Where are they made?

4. Well....lets see...excuse the sarcasm :D

Go to the dollar store and purchase a tool set...

Then go to Sears and purchase the same tool set...

Tell me which one is better and why and you will have the answer to your question.

Its all in what you want. If you want something cheap, functional, that may sound somewhat similar and do the job for a short period of time then go the cheap route. If you want a LIFELONG instrument and feels great, plays great,and again will last you forever then spend the extra money.

IME anyone that I've encountered buying the OLP ended up modding it to no end or getting rid of it to purchase the real thing.

So ....that's that... oh yea...used can be a GREAT route .

5. Let me clarify. I was asking about the quality difference between the Sterling (not OLP) and MM lines.
    I know a lot of people like the G&L Tributes and feel that their quality is good.

6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Tried them at NAMM side by side Howard and the full review is in the Musicman board on BABP.

G&L to Tribute = EBMM to Sterling by MM.

They are on that level.

Jim

7. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    I have an OLP and I have played the Music Man Stingrays, I have the Tony Levin Signature model, I can see everyones point... yea the OLP's are not as good as the Music Man... but when you have a house... three teenagers, one heading into college, the difference in OLP to Music Man is not such a burden...lol... yes I will some day get a true Music Man.... but for now... this will suffice ...:oops:) That's my 2 cents

8. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    yet no one has answered the question

OLP vs Sterling by MM, that's all we need to know, lol

9. Actually the question is:
    Ernie Ball Sterling line vs Music Man line

Thanks Jim. I'll check ver at the BABP.

10. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    yeah, I meant that, sorry XD I mistake with their names a lot! [and I wonder why... :ninja:]

11. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    OLP v. Sterling MM
    The Chinese made OLP is Licensed by Music Man and a great bass for the money. The finish on some of the ones I've seen come very close to rivaling the American made, and playability is great. The tone is acceptable for an import instrument, but I've known pro players to gut the electronics and upgrade them with Aguilar, Glock or Sadowsky pres, Bartolini & Nordstrad pups, etc. The elec upgrade is very easy to do. For the money, I can't think of a comparable bass.

12. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    ...import v. US, now that's a different argument. It all comes down to $$. Sure the US is better, and everyone would choose the US v. import if $$ were not an issue. Grab the one you can best afford. Music man is a quality brand. I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I think some of you are still not comprehending the OP's question.

He wants a comparison of imported, Asian-made OLP EB lookalikes which are no longer in production vs the new, imported, Asian-made "Sterling" line of EB lookalikes which were just released within the past year

NOT American EB Sterlings, NOT American EB Stingrays, NOT any American-made basses

I can't help you. I own a (seriously modded) OLP, but I have never played nor even seen the new, imported, Asian-made "Sterling" basses.

I also own a real, American-made pre-EB MM StingRay. But that is a different (and GLORIOUS!) creature altogether.

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    No Scott I got his question and directed him to where it was covered. I've known the OP for years.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has laid hands on these outside of the makers and folks at NAMM.

I've written my review and posted it in the past.

Jim

15. Jim,
    Your interpretation of my question is correct.

Import Sterling vs USA MusicMan basses - comparisons solicited

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ampig, if you check out Musician's Friend, it tells you that the Sterling by Ernie Ball basses are pre-order only. They are not yet circulating. They look very promising, from what I can see, their quality level will be on par with G&L Tributes, but we won't know for sure until later this month.

I want the Import Sterling! I got confused, and thought it did not have the coil selector, but it does. At $590, it sounds a winner to me.:bassist:

17. Thanks Cheese. I was under the impression they had hit the streets.

18. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    My review at NAMM......

19. Skyline and Tributes are both made in Indonesia now and both feature US electronics (except for the cheapest Skyline). The Skylines are finished and set up in the US.

THe difference from what I understand and why these aren't exactly comparable to a Tribute is that these are entirely made over seas in Korea with no US electronics and never passed through the US factory.

The Tribute to G&L comparison to this line up seems a little off in that regards.

Not that I doubt that these will be solid instruments. Korea makes some great stuff these days.

20. Which leads me to ask...why did they not offer US electronics when it seems to be the norm with the competition? Anyone know? Bovinehost?