1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olympics - who's watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It feels strange that all the world is watching us now - well they tell us 1 Billion viewers tonight! :eek:

So who is watching the Olympics and what are you looking forward to - any particular events? Or will you be cheering your own country's team?

Hopefully the BBC will do a good job for all of you! :)

2. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Not sure what the world the world made of the opening ceremony. The British press seems reasonably positive, praising the bucolic laid-back and humorous contrast to the martial inyerface stuff coming out of Bejing. It was characterised as being on the right side of the irony curtain. Considering the worldwide TV audience it went out to I don't think the spectacle in the stadium was completely well picked up by the cameras. But some of the cutaways, for instance the Queen and James Bond, were quite amusing. And yes, she really did jump out of the helicopter.

And who was that old dear singing right at the end?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I thought it was pretty good until that last song - which showed he really has lost his voice - maybe Elton would have been better? ;)

4. I watched the opening. I thought it was artistic like "avant garde". Very good and entertaining. The only thing I wish they did was, during the Olympian's march, I wish they chose music that did not contain vocals because the commentaries were very hard to understand while U2's "Streets with noname" was blasting.

I cheer it up for my Brit buddies across the pond too.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My son likes to have the Olympics on at random times and we have caught a little bit of the swimming so far. Funny how something you never think about for years can be exciting when you know that the people competing are the very best in the world at what they do.

6. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    The opening ceremonies of every Olympics feel to me like the halftime show at the Superbowl for 4 hours, that is to say absurd. I can't watch.
    The events have become ridiculous. Beach volleyball? I'm waiting for frisbee and bass fishing.

7. Watching Women's Volleyball and practicing Eccles at the same time.

:hyper:

EDIT: Hey Don, they used to have Tug-of-War, Ropeclimbing, live pigeon-shooting, and solo synchronized swimming as well. They're bringing back golfing in 2016, too.

I think beach volleyball is a pretty legitimate sport, though. Being a bowler and a bassist, I really can't claim that my Olympic prospects are very good!

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm digging it. I'm watching swimming and to my surprise even some gymnastics this year, but I love the things that I never see except in Olympics. Equestrian this morning in Greenwich park, Judo, Archery and my favorite by far to this point women's fencing.

Looking forward to the field events.

9. Bruce Lindfield

I've been away a for a week and the Olympics have really taken off here in the UK! There is now huge interest as Team GB have got a lot more Gold medals than anybody expected. :eek:

It is now the only topic of conversation and there are big screens out in every town, with massive crowds watching - even the rain hasn't stopped massive numbers of people turning out for things like the Women's Marathon on Sunday morning. At the beginning of last week there was a lot of doubt that we could pull it off - but now everybody is overwhelmingly positive about the whole thing!

10. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I suspect the tabloids are going to have a field day talking about Jessica Ennis' rear end as compared to Pippa's.

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'll vote for Ennis'! :bag:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Are you guys out there watching the TV coverage and cheering on your teams?

Although I am happy Team GB has had more success then usual, I find myself watching things where there is no GB interest as well.

13. I've been flipping on the TV whenever I have some spare time to cheer on Canada.

I really enjoyed both men and women's tennis this year; it was intruiging to see the two favourites in the Gold matches (Federer and Sharapova respectively) outmatched by their opponents. Murray played beautifully and home-field advantage and Nadal not competing probably didn't hurt him either!

I don't if any of my Canadian neighbours will attest to this, but I can't stand watching the Olympics on NBC. I understand that it's an American channel so they'll cover athletes as such, but I find that you can barely get a feel for the other competitors in the given event. I'm aware that Canadian channels will do the same with our athletes, as would other national channels, but it seems to me that NBC never lets up :bag:

NBC rant = over

14. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    NBC is a disgrace to broadcasting.

15. olympics just not the same since they did away with the chariot race...and olive branch.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I can't believe it's all over now! A great two weeks !

The closing ceremony will be good hopefully - a symphony of British music.

17. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
  18. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    It's over?
    You mean no more commercials and talking a$$holes from NBC?
    I've never watched less Olympics than this one.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

It's the rule. The race distance for each lane is measured 10 cm into the lane from the line. So running along the line say 1 cm away, the athletes are not running a full 400m ; they all have the same advantage. The rule is no toes on the line. Period. Donavan Bailey said "it does often happen in the heat of racing". I am disappointed for the athletes, but not going to lose sleep. It can be said that they came in third, but just didn't get the medal.

20. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Brian May just shredded at the ceremonies. Flawless.