1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OMG! ... he's got a '65 Jazz also !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lizooki, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    "All original" .... but it's been refinished. $6000.00.

It actually looks a little better...... I guess.
    But still not 6 big worthy.

jazz1.jpg

jazz2.jpg

jazz3.jpg

jazz4.jpg

2. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    You think fender originally mounted that ashtray hanging off the body? That g-string looks awfully far from edge of the fretboard too. Pickup is obviously a replacement. This dude has an odd sense of originality.

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    70s bidge cover on a 60s jazz bass???

Pickup covers are definitely not og. Might be an indication that pickups and electronics aren't either.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It looks like the A and D strings are crossed over to the wrong tuners. That's....different.

A '65 J with a maple fingerboard and pearl block inlays?

Not sure myself but when did Fender start using the black plastic under the neckplate?

TV Decal?

I think the date estimate might be bit off.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. Block Inlays and ash and the tug bar above the strings in 1965??? That's a 73 or 74 Fender shortly before the 3 bolt necks. Looks like a TV logo on the head, too. And no lolipops...

SJan3 and Lownote38 like this.
  6. I'm not certain about the bass in the original post (it could be a '65 body) but here is what a 1965 Jazz Bass looks like. I've had it since 1977. Fender_Bass_2.jpg

7. Allegrus

Allegrus

Mar 13, 2019
    Ottawa, ON
    If it sounds twice as good as it looks, he might as well sell it as firewood.

bobyoung53, DrMole, SJan3 and 7 others like this.
  8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    He's 9-10 years off on that age. Nothing is 1965 on that.

klejst, SJan3, REMBO and 4 others like this.
  9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Annd this bass is a "refinish"?
    I'm sorry, but (in no particular order):
    1) YUCK!
    2) NO WAY is that worth 6 large, maybe 6 dollars. OK, maybe 60, but she'll need a restoration.

SJan3 likes this.
  10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I think the string is just not in position under the string tree. But still... YIKES!

Hurricane Jimmie and ruju like this.
  11. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Plus, where's the tort?

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I enlarged the headstock in the image and it looks like the strings are in the right tuners and the D string is under the tree but the strings look slackened. If the G string is also slack it could explain why it's offset.

Atshen likes this.
  13. Is this finger nail guy again? Quite the collector.

14. Holy cow.....
    What's with this guy and tortured old Fenders?!

SJan3 and Captain Chaos like this.
  15. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    If this guy opened up a lemonade stand on his sidewalk he'd charge $500 a cup. He's nuts. I believe fender was still putting strap buttons on the back of the headstock in '65 and this doesn't have that or a hole were it might have been.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Basses are made from trees. Trees lay down their wood in layers one layer per year. There is almost certainly a ring of wood in that bass that was laid down by the tree in 1965.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  17. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    This bass looks like it was stored in a shed in the Florida Everglades.

18. I had a '65 for a few years and it had dot inlays . . just sayin'.

SJan3 likes this.
  19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You'd have to be an expert to buy a vintage guitar right now. Or buy one at a premium price from a credible dealer. The expectations on price for age are nuts, leading to silliness like this, and sellers who are counting on sucker buyers who don't know what they're looking at.

Most guys who really want to acquire a vintage Fender, browse this site (and others like it) periodically until you find one you want. Costs more, but maybe it doesn't.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  20. DiMarzio Model J pickups, big routs on the neck pu cavity, looks like 70s pu spacing

Matt R. likes this.