1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On the search for a chorus pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jamie King, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Jamie King

Jamie King

Feb 4, 2009
    Sup. Looking for a reasonably straightforward chorus pedal for my bass. Looking to use it in my band and just practicing. Currently I have my eyes on the Electro-Harmonix Nano Clone, the Stereo Clone Theory, the Ibanez CS9 and the Boss CEB-3 bass chorus. However since only one of these is truly dedicated to bass what do the others sound like on a bass? Does the signal come through on the lower frequencies etc etc?

Thanks dudes.

2. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    The Search function is always a good option ;)

Regarding the post, all I'll say is don't get the Nano Clone, between volume drops and the isolated power issue, there are way better pedals out there. If you're still interested in EHX, the original Small Clone or the new Neo Clone are good options

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a good affordable chorus pedal, I personally would recommend the danelectro chorus pedals. the fab chorus pedal costs $15 and the new cool cat chorus(the cool cat cc-1) costs $50. both chorus pedals provide smooth retro chorus sounds and they sound phenomenal on bass.

4. tony_clifton

tony_clifton

Nov 14, 2009
    Yeah, those dano pedals are copies of boutique pedals anyway.

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Unfortunately those boutique companies caught wind of this and ordered cease and desist notices. They are now all proprietary circuitry, which could mean they are still clones, but not exact copies anymore.

Also, stay away from the Nano Clone, it's just bad news for bass or guitar alike.
    You might look into the Neo Clone however, which is a nano-sized Small Clone (which the Nano Clone should have been in the first place).
    I've never played with the Ibanez CS-9, but the Maxon CS-9 Pro that I owned sounds similar so I am told. It's a bit thinner [EDIT: subtle would be a better term to use] of a chorus sound (as opposed to the Small Clone or CE-5 Chorus Ensemble which is a thicker chorus), but not in a bad way. Also it doesn't drop out your bass from the mix.

6. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    My personal opinion is the best chorus for bass is from Analogman http://www.buyanalogman.com/Chorus_Pedals_s/42.htm. They have several models but with same circuitry. First off, this is truly a fantastic chorus for use with a bass. Incredibly well-made, a solid build quality and attention to detail. "Analog" Mike suggested I use 18v for increased headroom as I was going to be using it primarily with my bass. Great advice. The sound is fantastic! But, can also be used w/9v or 12v as well. Most times I have it set with Speed at 11am and Depth at 2pm. The controls are quite sensitive so you'll be able to find "your tone." I also had it built with the "Depth Toggle" 3-way toggle option. This is a must-have option for bass. In addition, you can flip the toggled "Deep Setting" off for use with regular guitars. The DEEP option, is a a three position mini toggle switch. The DEEP setting not only makes the chorus thicker at all settings, but moves the frequency spectrum of the chorus down - perfect for bass!. This enhances the low frequencies. Sounds great on bass and excellent on guitar too, if you want to be able to dial-in thicker chorus sounds. The second (middle) position is a THIN setting, which sounds a little like the tc electronics Chorus. It is a lighter sound, with less low end, and also a little less analog white noise. It sounds a little flanger-like as a flanger has a shorter delay time than a chorus. The Third position is the exact same setting as their standard CHORUS, with no extra noise or change in tone from their normal pedals.

The middle position of the toggle switch is always the THIN setting. On their standard chorus, DEEP is down and NORMAL is up. On their Bi-chorus, LEFT is deep and RIGHT is normal.

If you've never dealt with Analogman be advised that their customer service is amazing. "Analog" Mike is readily available. You would be hard-pressed to find a more customer-focused operation. Their rep is well-deserved.

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Having owned two Stereo Bi-Chorii (Choruses?) with the depth switches in the past, as well as currently owning a fixed deep external mix (3-knob) mini Chorus, I'd have to agree with you. It's definitely a pedal that gets a lot of love and hate at the same time around here and I can understand both sides. The only reason that I didn't initially recommend it is because, without fail, someone will always come along and suggest it in any given chorus thread and I wanted to stay away from this trend. ;)

However, I will say that this may be more money than Jamie King is willing to spend on a chorus pedal at this time (I'm unsure because he hasn't posted what his pedal budget is).
    But it's definitely the end-all-be-all chorus pedal for my needs (church bassist usage).

8. Jamie King

Jamie King

Feb 4, 2009
    I know, I just wanted yet another opinion on chorus pedals. Sounds good by the way, thanks for all the advice. Probably leaning towards a Neo Clone then or something else. The Danelectro Cool Cat etc are a bit differently shaped for my pedalboard and the AnalogMan looks awesome except I don't have that kind of money for such a pedal sadly :(

9. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    also look at the mxr black label chorus. it's a copy of an old analog boss chorus and sounds nice. not as extreme as a small clone...more subtle i would say

10. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    A clone of the Boss CE-5, to be precise. Seriously, though, the EHX Stereo Polychorus is the greatest chorus you can buy in pedal form (at least until Fulltone releases the CFV-2), but it's a bit pricey, and totally impossible to control; which is why I recommend the totally cool, totally analog, totally available and affordable Visual Sound H2O.

All typed on an iPod in the Northwoods, no less.

11. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    Best chorus pedal on the market for bass is the stereo clone theory. At least I like it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021