1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Onboard Preamp Choices?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I want to try a different preamp on a bass that currently has the Bartolini NTBT in it.That preamp looses treble when i roll back the volume.I don't like that.
    The ones I've been using mostly are Sadowskys and OBP1s.I also tried a Noll which was not good when it worked and only lasted 1 month before it completely died.
    I like 9V preamps with two band EQs and don't like midrange on the bass.I never play in passive mode and don't need that option necessarily.
    I'm a Marcus fan, so that's the tone I like.
    I wonder if there is a preamp that is better than what I have used so far.
    I heard that Mike Pope pre amps are in Fodera basses.So I'm curious if those are even available separately.
    I don't know what is in Alleva Coppolo basses or in Celinders.
    Those basses have the vibe I like.
    Another preamp I'm looking at is the Glockenklang. What I am concerned about is the fact that the treble center is at 18K.Isn't that awfully high? Is the treble still effective in that range? Could the center be adjusted on this particular preamp?
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Thanks

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

John East preamps

3. Too many knobs!

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  5. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Mike Pope does design our internal preamps (it is a collaborative effort) and he is a GREAT audio designer as well as a really special person. He does sell direct -- you could PM him through TB, he is "The Pontiff".

You could also buy a Fodera Preamp directly from us. We used to restrict sales of the Fodera Preamp exclusively to Fodera owners, but have eliminated that stipulation recently. Our pre is 3-band and 18v, so it might not meet your requirements, but we think it sounds pretty special! You could make an inquiry here if interested...

sales@fodera.com

Kindest regards,

Jason

6. Funkinthetrunk

Compared to?

7. Fat K

Fat K

Mar 7, 2008
    Hong Kong
    +1

8. First of all, what is the bass? I think that's an important tidbit of information. ;)

Regarding pres, my personal favorites are the OBP-3 and the Audere. I think, if looking for a Marcus vibe, the Audere would certainly be worth looking in to!

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    There is an anomaly in human hearing regarding the ability to hear high & low frequencies at lower volumes. At lower volumes, we perceive deep bass and treble to be less. Fact is that the Eq curve does not change, only our ability to hear those frequencies. That has nothing to do with the Bart preamp. This is what is called the Fletcher Munson Curve. That is why stereo receivers have a loudness button. Do a google search for a more detailed explanation.

The preamp you are using in great for getting that Marcus sound, Also Aquilar OP-2

10. The bass is a very nice jazz type bass 5 string that I have put together.It plays really well and sounds quite good as it is with the bart.Except for the treble rolloff when I turn down the Vol and also it has kind of low output even with the trim up all the way.That bugs me a little bit.But maybe I'll leave well enough alone and stick with it.It's just been a while since I have bought a new preamp for a bass.I figured maybe there is something new on the market that I'm not aware of. Like Delano for example, they make preamps but I don't know anything about them.Nordstrand has one as well.The Audere definitely sounds interesting.So many choices.I did find the website for Mike Pope great music on it but no info on his onboard preamp.Maybe he doesn't even sell one.Main thing is I want it simple not like the U retro where you have so many choices.I'd end up just messing with the knobs all the time instead of playing.:)

11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    As I said there should be no high end roll off at lower volume. If you are experiencing true roll off and not normal loudness curve changes, you might have it wired incorrectly. Check the schematic. Call Bartolini for some assistance. I believe the Marcus uses/used that exact on-board pre for many years.

12. I'll have my repair guy check into it.Thanks!

13. +1

14. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    since we are talking preamp choices here, whats everyone's thoughts on a good preamp for a p bass?

15. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    +100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

16. Funkinthetrunk

17. no, it's made by John East for AC Guitars (Skelf here on TB) but it is very different from the J retro.

18. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    so they have a version for a P Bass? Anyone have one on their P?

19. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    I'm playing with an Audere 2 band pre amp in my 75 RI MIA jazz bass. It sounds great after some growing pains installing it but it barely/doesn't really fit in the body cavity.