1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Bass to do it all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Recently, I found that I had a hard time getting my Pedulla to sound the way I wanted it to when rehearsing for a church concert at the end of the month. My Sire really sounds great for the music, but it is bothering me that my main bass is not working out. Now that I know the songs better, I am going to practice them at home on the Pedulla and use my Pentabuzz at the next rehearsal. I think of how many great players have had careers on one bass, and I feel that I should be able to carry out my humble take on one bass too. In fact, I really want to let some basses go. Probably just keeping my Sire, Peavey Fury, and Pedulla. I do have another bass on an extended layaway and selling off my Carvin may take care of that. Four basses is still a lot of basses, but I want to use the Pedulla at least 75% of the time. If my Peavey had not only cost me $65, I would probably sell it too.

2. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I think I remember you saying the EBMM Caprice covers enough ground to be someone's only bass. It made me want to get one!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    That's my end goal as well. I've narrowed it down to 2 so far, but if I'm going to just have 1, I'm going to have to contract a fully custom build.

As of now, my Peavey Cirrus handles 90% of everything I need. It can snarl out the nastiest death metal tones imaginable, and do most of the fusion and trip hop stuff I play. Most of it, but not all of it. My MTD still shows it up when I need something really mellow and lyrical. It has a clear voicelike quality that the Peavey just can't quite get - like a teenage soprano on a mountain top on a still winter's day.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Caprice is a great bass indeed! If EBMM had made a five, I would have bought one eventually.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That description makes me want to hear your MTD!:bassist:

6. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    One bass to rule them all, one bass to grind them, one bass to rock them all and in the pocket bind them.

7. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]

8. I could narrow down to my Roscoe Beck sig Jazz bass but I'd really miss playing my old Epiphone hollowbody too much.

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I've used my Warwick FNA Jazzman 5-string for a lot of different projects and styles. The J/MM setup is really versatile. I've played funk, pop, blues, rock, heavy stuff, and I've always been able to dial in appropriate bass tone with blending the PUs and occasionally tweaking with the preamp.

10. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    USA G&L L2500

11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Only recently have I decided that my Mike Lull M5V will cover everything I do. It’s part of a “Get lean and mean“ mantra that I’m applying to all areas of my life. I even recently sold my beloved Stingray because while I loved the idea of having it around, I just didn’t play it. Even days when I decided, I’m gonna play the ‘Ray, I always gravitate towards the Lull.

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just thinned the herd on my end too and am down to two basses - a 59 Precision and a 67 Jazz. Either one would cover anything I do, but love both.

I did the same with my guitars - down to a 63 ES-335 and a recent Martin D-28 Brazilian build.

Don’t think I’ll ever get rid of any of these and am GAS free at the moment...

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A part of me is still leery about a fretless being my number one, but there are so many great fretless players in so many genres. I am sure I could manage as a mediocre bassist who plays a few different styles.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know I will never be GAS free, but I am leaning more towards looking and lusting instead of buying stuff.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm having fun with my five gig-able instruments (playing one against the other in a never-ending game of "which is more fun right now") in rehearsals and on gigs.

i had two axes before i retired. i only need one. i could play 'only one' in a heartbeat. who couldn't? :D

16. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I so understand this. This is the only reason I sold mine. Just missed that B string too much. Otherwise, perfect bass.

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have just (after much trial and error) figured out what I really, really, REALLY like. I’ve enjoyed the journey, which has involved buying and selling a lot of stuff - but am happy to now have a small handful of instruments I cherish and hopefully (a long way down the road) pass them along to my kids. They’re my prized possessions and I love playing them...

Interspace Station and SJan3 like this.
  18. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I can relate . It does take a while to figure out what you like , what feels good, and what works for your particular playing situations. Basses are not one size fits all and what looks good on paper or Online isn’t always a perfect fit.

19. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    True - and TB has both helped and hurt me in that process! o_O

basslifter, dan1952, HD007 and 2 others like this.
  20. Over the years (many!) I have had Pedulla Rapture, Wal, MTD (US), vintage Fender Jazz, various Ibanez, various non vintage Fenders, ESP and high-end Yamahas. Of all of them, my mongrel Fender P is the only one that I can play any of the many genres I am involved in and feel right at home.