One-Day Shipping Now Standard for Amazon Prime Members

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by viribus, Apr 26, 2019.

1. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Walmart, Target shares tumble as Amazon announces one-day shipping for Prime members

The e-commerce company announced on Thursday it will be making one-day shipping the standard for all Amazon Prime members, expecting to spend $800 million during the second quarter of this year to improve its warehouses and delivery infrastructures to make this possible.

Target shares were down more than 5% Friday morning. Walmart shares tumbled 2.5%.

With more than 100 million paying Prime members across the country, it’s estimated Amazon reaches more than 50% of U.S. households today, and growing. And so the impact of its move toward an even speedier shipping option is going to be substantial. This means more and more consumers are going to get used to having whatever they order on the internet show up at their doorsteps in 24 hours or less. Walmart and Target are going to need to make sure they meet these changing expectations.

elgecko, GregC, MJ5150 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I got a trial last month. Between the video streaming service and near immediate delivery of crap I want and sometimes need, it's been great. I'll keep it after the trial.

MJ5150 likes this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It sure is. I noticed a new search filter last week. Now I have the 'Get It by Tomorrow' filter. It's working too. I now limit my searches to items with that filter and will compromise and buy something that can be delivered tomorrow instead of waiting an extra day for the old way of doing things, two day delivery.
    Case in point, I was shopping for a managed switch for my home office Sunday afternoon. I wanted an eight port with four PoE ports, but the brand I wanted (Netgear) wouldn't come until Tuesday. I did find from TP-Link that will deliver today, so I bought that one. They are basically the same switch anyway, so it's not a compromise in functionality, just a switch from a brand I have been using for 15+ years.

-Mike

OldDog52 likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's good to know. Some analysts have indicated Amazon has now peaked since their conversion rate from trials is at an all time low.

-Mike

5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    The megacorporation is delivering the goods.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I use Amazon and Walmart. If they're gonna offer these deals, and my tax dollars subsidize them, then I'm going to take advantage of it.

Over a year ago I ordered an electronic part for my motorcycle thru Amazon.

Ordered on a Friday, had it Saturday, not for free ,but for about $8 from Nevada to Indiana.

Anyone that buys a lot of stuff next day air and weekend delivery knows that's a hell of a bargain on shipping.

I just wonder if that's why the rest of us are paying a premium for shipping.

Remember not to long ago when you could ship a bass for $35? Not anymore.

MJ5150 likes this.
  7. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Don't know about FedEx or UPS. But USPS does not lose money handling Amazon stuff. USPS has "fixed" rates, like 55 cents to mail a 1st-class letter. And it has "competitive" bulk rates, like the contracts they negotiate with companies like Amazon.

"The Postal Regulatory Commission has consistently found that Amazon's contracts with the USPS are profitable"

What the US post office really gets from Amazon

By law, the USPS has to charge competitive products at least enough to cover 5.5% of “institutional/fixed costs,”

Competitive products are more than meeting this 5.5% requirement, according to UBS. In 2017, the minimum revenue requirement from competitive products was $1.6 billion, while the actual contribution was $6.8 billion, leaving an excess contribution of $5.2 billion.

And Amazon represents around 25% of this revenue, making them very likely the biggest customer for [USPS] competitive products.

GregC likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Do you think the gravy train will continue when they knock out their competitors? They already have a history of lowering prices to knock out competitors, then raising prices back up.

Diapers.com is one example.

ImaStupidBaby likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We (by "we" I mean many negative people) thought the same things about Walmart. We thought Walmart would end the world. Honestly, it made life better for many.

Same goes for Amazon. It makes life easier for many.

People will always want to walk into brick and mortar stores. Walmart and Target will be fine.

MJ5150 likes this.
  10. Just an FYI if you or a family member has a .edu account, you can get a discounted rate on prime. We have 5 years of half priced prime

Indiana Mike likes this.