1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One more quick question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, Apr 20, 2006.

1. So I'm thinking about purchasing a Dunlop Brick to power my pedals. The Brick has 7 9volt outputs and 3 18volt outs. Right now, I'm playing through 8 pedals which are all 9 volt pedals. Could I power one on 18 volts without it exploding or something?

Right now my board is:
    Boss TU-2
    Dunlop 105q
    EHX Bassballs
    Pro Co Rat
    2 Loooper
    Pearl 0C-07
    Boss CEB-3
    MXR Phase 90

Which of these do you think has the least likely chance of getting screwed up if it was being run on 18volt power?

2. I don't think you're going to be to power a 9 volt pedal from your 18 volt out. I think you could probably find a supply with more outs if you look around a bit. Anybody know of one?

3. none of the above.

Since the Brick is not too far removed from a humble daisy chain fed by a decent quality regulated wall wart, why not just get a daisy chain as well?

By far and away the superior power supply is the voodoo labs pedal power.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    use the TU-2 as a secondary power distributor. Or, get a 1-spot adaptor. I don't own one but it give 1.7A of power and you can expand it useing the 5 adaptor chains. The only reason I don't own a 1-spot is cus I don't need that much power, and my boss daisy chain works fine for me. For my second board I'm planning on using 2 of the 1-spot chains, with a boss power supply (which I already own), cus of the extra "reach" there is between plugs compared to the boss chain.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    A quick tutorial on electrical circuits.

In the sort of circuit you are building, voltage will remain constant throughout the entire circuit, as long as you don't end up with a short somewhere.

If you use the 18volt output from your Brick, the pedal taking the 18 volts will get 18 volts.

What you can do? IIRC, the Brick outputs 200 mA from each of the 9volt outputs. Look at the manuals from your pedals, and they should have section in the back that details their power requirements. you can run any 2 pedals in a daisy chain, as long as the total current requirements for both pedals is less than 200 mA. Just add the numbers together.

If you are confused, PM me and I'll try to help.