Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Trick Pony

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Thump, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    So many basses seemed to get slammed for being One Trick Ponies,when your p bass sounds like John Wetton,Roger Waters,Steve Harris etc. or your Ricky sounds like Geddy,Roger Glover or Chris Squire etc. if you can get it to sound that good why would you want anything, else better to have a couple of axes with different sounds than one with a bunch of so so sounds

2. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    What about one with a bunch of great sounds. . . ;)

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yer right....

Until I came across TalkBass, I never thought of a Precision as a 'one trick pony'. I've seen them used in so many settings, and I've used mine in a variety. It sounds completely different with the tone all the way up and played at the bridge as compared to played with my fingers across the base of the neck.

I don't know about most players, but I find as time goes on, I spend my night on stage moving my right hand into different postions depending upon the tone I'm looking for, for a particular song. I much prefer that to knob tweaking on my amp and reaching down to the switches and knobs on my bass, and I can do it mid-song, mid-phrase, mid-run.

4. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I played EB-Os in the 60s in bands that didn't really want to hear the bass player; they wanted to FEEL him. That kinda ruined me as a decent bassist until I started playing with smaller, progressive bands using Fenders and Ampegs. I thought the EB-O was a one-trick pony until about three years ago when I got to play a gig with one. It was me all the time. I now have an EB-O and a RumbleKat that I have learned to play various styles on almost as well as my fancy, preamped actives. Took me a long time to learn but most of the sound is my fault.

5. Agreed.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, I never really got that concept either. When you look at the entire body of recorded work put out by those two instruments over the last 40 or so years...the tonal variety is HUGE.

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...hey, don't forget the role of the sound engineer when discussing studio recorded bass:p There's a good reason why most every recording studio out there has a P-bass in it.

But, yeah, I too am of the whole notion of using different touches, hand placements, and hand/fingering techniques to bring a variety of sounds out of my instrument. I keep the blend on my Corvette dead center and the volume control pulled out to bypass the preamp.

But sometimes there are times when you can coax amazing sounds from your bass when playing it acoustically, but once you plug it in, the electronics may color your tone for the worse. Like maybe choking it or whatnot.

Of course, yeah, there are always those epiphanies when you start playing and you blame your instrument for you sounding like garbage, but then when an expert picks up your bass and makes it sing, it's like the heavens opening up.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    My bass is a one trick pony. Only because I am a one trick pony. I get my sound no matter what bass or amp I play or I put it away.

The P bass is not the only sounds I hear in my head.

IMHO

tk

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Amen!

10. There's a fine line between having a signature, definable sound that you like and being a "one-trick-pony".
    I'm watching an Iron Maiden video right now and there's no way Harry's P-bass sounds like Waters'.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The bass is just one part of the entire signal chain. As noted the player is an especially important part, and the amp, speakers, etc are important too.

12. Looks like we have a winner!!

13. thank god bassists stand up for "the one trick pony" p-bass. jesus man, jaco always played with his bridge pickup turned to full, that could be defined as a "one trick pony" too couldn't it? he never needed any more, nor less, and the sounds that came from the combo of his bass and himself is just out there man. just goes to prove that people are a bit closed minded at times.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Everyone claims the Stingrays, Ps, and Ricks are one trick ponies, yeah? I gotta wonder, how many tricks does a Jazz have with that extra pickup?

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The truth is that I have heard many bassists with active, multiple pickup basses who mananged to sound unremarkable. I remember when Stanley Clarke came out and put ALembic on the map. Who except for maybe Mark King has an exceptional Alembic tone outside of Clarke? I think about the "limited" Stingray and I think about Louis Johnson, Tony Levin, Dave LaRue, Paul Denman (Sade). I know I've made this point many times, but it bears repeating.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Right on!!! :bassist:

17. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Exactly,people will take for example a P bass and say it's a one trick pony when there are many cool sounds you can get outa it,Waters and Harris are just exampled of wonderful sounds you can coax out of a so called one trick pony.

18. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Excellent!

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't think it can be said any better than this.

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, the one trick pony thing... I don't get it. Are acoustic guitars one trick ponies? Are double basses one trick ponies? Violins?