1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Online collaboration software (eJamming etc) - Anybody using it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldBluesGuy, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Didn't know there was such a thing.

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Tried it, but didn't care for it/have no use for it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tried it and liked it. There's potential for this as a real tool.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Tried and liked, but don't see any useful application for it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I've heard about it, but it's just not for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    I love this technology, but it doesn't seem to be catching on like I would think it could. Are there any TB'ers doing online collaborative activities? Recording, jamming, etc... Please post your experiences, opinions etc on this technology if you use it or have used it.

Thanks!

:)

obg

2. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    If you've responded to the poll with option #1 and would like more information, check out the eJamming web site. eJamming is the best product out there currently that I'm aware of for online collaboration and affords a very workable tool for playing/jamming with other musicians over the internet in real-time. You can jam with several people at a time, but my experience so far has just been with one other person.

I use it regularly to jam with a work associate - he's in St Paul, MN and I'm in Enfield, CT. With a little trial and error and some tweaking of the settings, we've been able to jam for hours online. He's running a feed from a small headphone amp into his soundcard and I'm running my gear through a PodXT and a Toneport UX2. We communicate either through the built-in text chat tool or through AIM. We haven't yet experimented with voice-based chat yet, but that's next on our list.

It's never going to be as good as live jamming in the same location, but it's pretty freaking great for jamming with other people you couldn't jam with otherwise. If you haven't tried it, you should. Check out the tutorials on their web site to see what the software can do. I've only worked with the real-time jamming feature. There's a multi-track recording tool built into the interface too and you can record your session as well. I've recorded a couple of tracks by myself and that feature works very well too. You add tracks as you go layering instruments, solos, vocals whatever.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with the company or anyone who works there. I'm just a user of the product who's very curious why more people aren't using it.

:)

obg

3. Kimpini

Kimpini

May 14, 2008
    Indiana
    Seems really cool.

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I'm gonna check this out...might be a great way to spend a lazy day.

5. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    One of my favorite YouTubers, zodiakironfist, does this on occasion with an e-band.

6. should have the option of went on a couple times and no one was ever on :oops:

7. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    That's definitely a down-side of using it now. That's most of the reason for this poll. I'm kinda surprised that it's not really being used much. Hopefully as more people hear of it we'll see more activity with the product.

8. lowendisthebest

lowendisthebest Aspiring BasStard

are there any that you dont have to pay for? ejamming gives you 30 day trial( i think i read that right)

9. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    This is the only product of it's kind that's currently being supported AFAIK. There's something called Ninjam, but their main site hasn't seen an update since May of 2007. Their forum is still active so this product may still be viable. I haven't tried it out yet, but have been meaning to. If you do, please share your experiences. :)

As far as the 30 day trial on eJamming - that's not in effect at this time AFAIK. I have the current version running on my computer and it's been more than 30 days since I installed it.

obg

10. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    Update on Ninjam:

If you're using Reaper, Ninjam is built right into Reaper as a VST Plug-in. There are instructions in the Ninjam forum for setting up Reaper and the VST plug-in. I've been playing with it a little, but haven't made a connection yet. I'm still looking for a valid Ninjam server to connect to. I'll update this thread if I can figure out how to get it to work.

obg