1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Online jams

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by swafran, Jul 11, 2018.

1. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Does anyone jam online? Where do you go? I tried jammr and hammered out some rock with a guitarist I'd never met. Pretty fun, but on that one not many people are logged in.

2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Doesn't the latency cause problems?

"Why is jammr not real time?
    At the speed of light it takes 67 milliseconds to go half-way across the world. This means jamming with someone halfway across the world would be noticably laggy. Therefore, to ensure that you can jam with people from all over the world without delay we use intervals."

"How does jammr work?
    jammr sends your audio to other users and receives their audio. In order to avoid lag, jammr is "live" but not "real-time". This means other players hear you after a fixed amount of time. This fixed amount is called the interval and can be set to fit the chord progression you are jamming to. This allows you to jam synchronised with people from all over the world."

Guess I'm not sure how it works. How do you play off of your jam mates if everything is delayed?

- John

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    swafran likes this.
  3. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Well I only tried it once so far, but had no problems with latency. I've heard it can be a problem.

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    there's a thread for this already... forgotten its name

swafran likes this.
  5. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Yeah, I found 2, but neither had very interesting links, I wanted to see the current state of things.

6. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Yeah, that is weird. I guess since they provide a beat with fills every 8 bars, the idea is after some bars of lag, everyone is playing the same chord progression and it doesn't clash too much if you hear what I played 8 bars ago, because we will be playing over the same structure. I don't know but that's what I guess from the description. It seems the case from listening back to the recording of the one jam I had.

7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wow, that’s kind of freaky! Each person in a jam hears what all the other people were doing one loop ago. It’s like people on distant stars, each looking into the past of the other band members.

rufus.K likes this.
  8. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Yeah I'm not sure if I got that right, but it sounds like that's what they're saying.

and yeah, pretty freaky... red shifted and blue shifted music through time and space