1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ooops... I forgot about the DROP D...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TommyD69, Sep 27, 2013.

1. TommyD69

TommyD69 Semper Gumby

Sep 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    How many times has this happened to you?

In my last band we had a unique situation where our bass player was ALSO (thru default) our keyboard player.

So, when we played a "block" of keyboard songs, I would get the bass guitar duties.

Unfortunately, some times he would forget to "undrop" the D when he handed the bass back to me...

How embarrassing... My definition of a successful bass evening is when no one notices me... If I get noticed, its usually because I screwed up...

Those were the days though....

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We used to do 4 or 5 tunes in drop D at the beginning of the 3rd set. There was a bassplayer from another band in attendance one night, and I asked if he wanted to sit in. He did, so I said "OK, you can come up after the tunes in D".

I forgot to undrop the bass when I handed it over to him, and he was unfamiliar with the D tuner concept.........

It was not good.

That was years ago, and I still apologize when I see him........

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    And this is why there are Hipshot detuners ;-)
    Quick flip of the lever - ta da.
    it also gives you an immediate visual indication of whether it's 'up' or 'down.'
    Just MHO, of course...

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    That's why some folks play 5 ers. No need to worry about the lever thingy.:p

5. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    It never ends.
    As soon as you adapt to a 5-string, someone will want to play in Drop-A ;-)

6. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I've never understood why Mastodon doesn't do this.

More on-topic, I've done this a few times. I can't wait till I have enough basses to have ones dedicated to specific tunings.

7. seescottrock

seescottrock

Apr 13, 2011
    Utica, NY
    I came here to echo the praises of the D-tuner. Makes cover gigs a great deal easier!

8. TommyD69

TommyD69 Semper Gumby

Sep 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've heard of those... but I've never seen one in person...

9. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
  10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I got a hipshot detuner on my Ric because we have a handful of drop D songs, and unfortunately a couple of them you need a drop D, like Slither where you play most of the notes on the dropped string in between open D notes, and I cant use my fiver. I love love my hipshot!

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Big +1!

All hail Hipshot!
    :)

I'm thinking if I can slightly modify the G tuners on my older Ricks I can fit a D Tuner on them too.

I did forget to flip the lever back to standard once, though.
    It became pretty obvious the first G I tried to play, but it's a very quick fix, so no real biggy.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I play a 5string, but I still prefer to detune my E to D for certain songs.

13. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Years ago I put one on my Ric too, and slither was one of the tunes; great song and fun to play.

14. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I have used a Hipshot D-Tuner for most of my bass playing life, but have abandoned it in the past year. My ear and peg feel are good enough now that if I forget (which I often do ;) ) I can grab it and yank it back into tune within a couple or three cents. This has been handy because the Hipshot had stopped working for me. I kept dialing it in but it would never tune correctly again. I think it's a combination of two things: an Ibanez neck and barometric pressure. I live on a mountainside, but my gigs are oceanside.