opinion needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nami, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    i'm building my first project now and i still deliberating about few things.
    it's going to be an alder/ash body with (if i'll find a way to get it to israel) flamed maple top.
    a 34.4" scale
    a piezo (wich i want your help to choose one)
    maple/ wenge (or maple /20 years old mahogany ) neck with ebony or rosewood fingerboard
    Bartolini MM pickup -bridge
    Bartolini J pickup-neck
    active/passive switch
    Aguilar / Bartolini active preamp

if i want the sound of this bass will be more like modulus flea or stingray in the bridge pickup and like J bass in the neck wich options should i take? and what about colors? do coloring the guitar make a less quality sound?
    and what piezos are recommended?
    and if i will buy only the piezo suddels ... wich bridge should i use?
  2. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    it would be easier to buy a whole bridge with piezo saddles. they are sold on allparts.com
    and couple of other places. its a lot less hassle. recommended piezo? Fishman!
  3. Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    and what about the ABM and Schaller piezos? are they ok?
    and i decided to use alder. so wich maple top is recommended? and do you know a wood seller that would send it to israel if i'll over pay him?
  4. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    gallery hardwoods are a sponser of TalkBass. they can sell you blanks of Alder.

ABM make all sorts of great stuff. if u can afford paying that cash, go for it!
    i always found it a good idea to experiment with cheap stuff first. do it right, buy the expensive stuff and do the bass of ur dreams!

PS. i prefer ash over alder