Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinion needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nami, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Nami

Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Israel
    i'm building my first project now and i still deliberating about few things.
    it's going to be an alder/ash body with (if i'll find a way to get it to israel) flamed maple top.
    a 34.4" scale
    a piezo (wich i want your help to choose one)
    maple/ wenge (or maple /20 years old mahogany ) neck with ebony or rosewood fingerboard
    Bartolini MM pickup -bridge
    Bartolini J pickup-neck
    active/passive switch
    Aguilar / Bartolini active preamp

now
    if i want the sound of this bass will be more like modulus flea or stingray in the bridge pickup and like J bass in the neck wich options should i take? and what about colors? do coloring the guitar make a less quality sound?
    and what piezos are recommended?
    and if i will buy only the piezo suddels ... wich bridge should i use?

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    it would be easier to buy a whole bridge with piezo saddles. they are sold on allparts.com
    guitarelectronics.com
    and couple of other places. its a lot less hassle. recommended piezo? Fishman!

3. Nami

Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Israel
    and what about the ABM and Schaller piezos? are they ok?
    and i decided to use alder. so wich maple top is recommended? and do you know a wood seller that would send it to israel if i'll over pay him?

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    gallery hardwoods are a sponser of TalkBass. they can sell you blanks of Alder.

ABM make all sorts of great stuff. if u can afford paying that cash, go for it!
    i always found it a good idea to experiment with cheap stuff first. do it right, buy the expensive stuff and do the bass of ur dreams!

PS. i prefer ash over alder